Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch for Oracle 2 node RAC?

user135246
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

We are in the process of migrating from a 10g single instance database to 2 node RAC (Windows Server 2008 OS, EMC storage with 2 SAN swithes,…) and we have some doubts about interconnect.

We are having difficulty in selecting the correct interconnect speed for the interconnect network, difficulty in selecting the switch/switches, …

1. Because there are 2 nodes, and 4 Ethernet cables for interconnect, whether to use one or two switches? Using a switch can be a solution but a single switch become a big single point of failure.

2. Whether we can get in performance if we use 2 switches (bonding,…) ?

3. As mentioned, there are 4 Ethernet cables, is it good idea to use existing 1Gb switches that we use for public network or to buy 1Gb switches that will be used only for private interconnection?

4. Can we use simple 16 or 8 port GigE switches?

Maybe you can point me out to some GigE and SAN switches (for nodes - storage connection) which you've seen that they work without any problems with RAC.

How can we best deisgn the networks for the interconnects?

Thank in advance!

4 Replies 4

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I've supported RAC with many different switch. (3750, 3750E,4948,5020) Our database team did performance test after each switch change and to most important spec you need to look for is  latency. Between the 3750E and the 4948, the test showed us a 50% operations per second gain.

so, two switchs with low latency.

Two switches for interconnect and public network or two switches only for node interconnection?

Depend...It's better to have dedicated switchs for the interconnect. You can keep them out of the production network and never patch them (reboot). This will keep your DBA happy. You can also use your networks switch on dedicated vlan be they need to be very very very stable.

Hi

Do you mean we have to use 3750 or 4948 series?

We want to use Nexus 5596UP for our oracle RAC interconnect link but we have network problem on them. Our RACs work correctly with many different switch such as cisco 4500-X. We enable Jumbo frame on both of them. I think we have latency problem. 

How can I see the latency time quantity in my switches (both nexus and catalyst)?

Thank you.