Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Geoffrey Kim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Effective immediately, the Cisco Software Manager (CSM) utility is no longer being developed or maintained. Currently, there is no replacement utility for automated software management.  For instructions on how to manually perform IOS-XR upgrades and downgrades, please consult the documentation.

Comments
Issam Bakir
Level 1
Level 1

What is your recommendations to replace the CSM?

Thank you,

Issam

Greg Gizinski
Level 1
Level 1

Does this mean CSM 4.25 will be the last release? Is there an official cisco notification about this other than this posting?

Thanks

elopeznu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This topic and this other one are quite contradictory, 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-service-provider-subjects/issues-with-cisco-software-manager-server-after-server-reboot/m-p/4756029#M5499

When opening a TAC case, they state CSM is not supported by TAC. And some customers are using this tool actually, yet they face the issue of the tool not being operational at all as of a couple of days ago.

jdiazort
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does anybody know a tool for replacing CMS Tool? Customers are asking for it and I'm not able to provide an answer. I have read that NSO might be an option but I'm not sure.

Swapnil Shingvi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, there is no replacement Tool for CSM.

Christory
Level 1
Level 1

Sir, I really don't know what you're trying to explain..I'm currently installing CSM 4.26 on my Server.. 

Chess Norris
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Does anyone know if this product still supose to work?

A customer is getting the following error and he said it's been working before. 

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/csmpe/log.py", line 117, in error
self.log(msg, ERROR, exception=exception, terminate_monitor=terminate_monitor)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/csmpe/log.py", line 82, in log
raise PluginError(msg)
csmpe.exceptions.PluginError: [Install Add] Unsupported transport protocol: SFTP

Thanks

/Chess

selliottuwbb
Level 1
Level 1

So, while I understand CSM is no longer being supported or developed by Cisco (a shame if you ask me -- should release it open source instead so the community can develop it), does anyone have a working version that doesn't bootstrap back to Cisco? When Cisco shut it down earlier this year, ours would fail to run after the server was restarted because when it called home to Cisco to bootstrap the service and load it up, it failed to find it, which then obviously caused CSM to fail to start. Does anyone have a workaround for this? I understand NSO is there, but if NSO is the only replacement, they've basically taken a freely usable update system and lumped it in with an expensive total management system that costs a lot of money and that at current our management doesn't want to pay for, so all the upgrades have to be done manually which is kind of a huge pain in the backside with XR with all the hotfixes and stuff.

snievesz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EPNM has a module to Manage Device Software Images, We used it to upgrade near of 5,000 ASR920 in 4 months in one of our customers, maybe it can help you:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/epn_manager/7_0_0_GA/user/guide/bk_cisco_epnm_7_0_0_user_and_administrator_guide_ga/bk_CiscoEPNManager_4_0_UserAndAdministratorGuide_chapter_0100.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links