cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot access Cisco RV325 via SSH, I get error "Permission denied (publickey,password)."

sudoISS
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all.

So I'm trying to manage a growing fleet of Cisco RV325 routers, and I'd like to do more via the command-line interface. Things like regular backups, connectivity tests, even regular device reboots. Unfortunately, my initial foray into realizing this was frustrated... right at the beginning, since I get the error:

cisco@routerurl.com: Permission denied (publickey,password).

I know I have the correct username and password - I can login to the HTTPS console just fine, and my password is saved in a password manager. Both "SSH" and "Remote SSH" are enabled under "Firewall" > "General", and upon my initial connection to our router I got the usual SSH message (indicating that SSH is indeed running on the router):

$ ssh cisco@routerurl.com
The authenticity of host 'routerurl.com (1.2.3.4)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:JGsaBbDgjKChWike6x28Ny50tumBFkEW8SWvfhO6AXk.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

This is frustrating guys. It's SSH. It shouldn't be this hard.

2 Replies 2

AlKor
Spotlight
Spotlight

Cisco has disabled the console for this model. They say: “Maybe in the future we will do it”, “GUI is the future, the console is not” and so on.
I also bought an RV model, because there promise a console access. Before i working with a catalysts  series  and work only via console. Buying an SMB series was my big mistake: "No support", "No documentation", "Tons of bugs".

Welcome!

Oh that's exciting! Classic Cisco, though. I'm sure artificially deactivating features that can be found for free in stable, freely downloadable operating systems has nothing to do with the fact that their market share in networking devices continues to decline. At my past gig, we used Fortinet devices, and they had some pretty bomb stuff!

Like basic SSH access, for example.

Oh well. This is what competitors are for, I suppose.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: