cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPTP Problems with RV320

Clinton Utt
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a new RV320 to replace my older RV082 in my local office network. I was able to get the RV320 set up and running, but had a problem with the PPTP settings. On the RV082 I have three gateway-to-gateway VPNs set up and when a user logs in using a PPTP VPN they are able to access resources on any of the gateway-togateway VPNs. I set up the RV320 the same way and had all of the gateway-to-gateway tunnels up and running and verified from my internal network that I can reach the servers on each tunnel. I set up a PPTP user and verified that I can reach the network from a remote computer, but when I try to reach a resource on one of the gateway-to-gateway tunnels it crashes the RV320 and I have to reconnect all of my gateway-to-gateway VPNs. I ensured that all of the pass throughs are enabled and haven't found any other settings that seem out of place. Can anyone think of anything else that I may need to set up to get this to work?

I know a lot of people wouldn't use the PPTP with the other options available, but this is the best option to connect my Surface RT tablet to the network while I'm on the road since a client isn't availble for it.

Thanks,

Clinton  

5 Replies 5

gsorensen
Level 1
Level 1

Clinton,

just found your post and it sounds similar to an issue I am experiencing with a client.

Two sites, RV320 with latest firmware in the main office and a satellite office with a Netgear unit.  Both connected via a gateway to gateway IPSec vpn.   The link is very stable.  The satellite office initiates the connection.  The main office RV320 also has a number of users setup for PPTP remote access to company resources such as rdp/rdc.

Our issue is when I vpn in with pptp to the main office, the RV320, the moment I try to access the satellite office subnet it triggers the IPSec gateway to gateway vpn to crash.  I then have to remote into the satellite office and manual restart the link.... then all is fine again.  Now, if I am physically at the main office, and ping or access the satellite office subnet, all is fine.

My thought has been that either I do not have the gateway to gateway vpn setup properly or there is some access rule I am missing.  I need to do some more research and experiment with the connection.  It very well could be my setup as this was the first time I have setup IPSec...  Just as a note, the RV320 itself never crashes ... it just shows the IPSec vpn is down ... I need to isolate the issue to either the Netgear or Cisco side...

I will follow this thread and see if you find out anything. 

cheers

greg

Greg,

I'm setting here working on it now and I'm about to call Cisco to see if they have any ideas. It's almost like there is something wrong with the passthroughs. I was hoping to try out the Easy VPN with the Client to see what happens, but I can't get it to install on my remote machine for some reason. If I come up with anything I will let you know.

Clinton

Clinton,

just finished some more experimentation ...  I removed the default vlan 2 and 3 settings, plus disabled the WAN2 interface as other discussions suggest for other issues.  I even changed the IPSec remote and local settings from IP range to IP Subnet ... but it made no difference .... Gateway to Gateway stays connected until the moment I ping or access any of the satellite office's resources, (while connected to the main office with pptp vpn connection).  I should mention, in the example when I ping the satellite site, the pptp connection drops as well as the IPSec connection ...  its as if I need to enable rip or enter a static route, ... but I had assumed it would be done automatically ... but I am a novice at this.  Will keep looking for other Cisco config examples.

no further ahead.  I will give it another day and if I can not figure this out I will open a support ticket.

cheers

greg

Greg,

Thanks for the added information. I have a ticket open with CIsco and I'm scheduled to work with them Thursday evening. I'll post back what we find.

Clinton

dmitry.kunilov
Level 1
Level 1

I have exactly this problem, the router crashes and reboots when I try to use PPTP to access a resource that is behind a Gateway-to-Gateway tunnel.

After banging my head against the wall for a day, I was able to figure out that this problem only happens with firmware 1.1.1.06.

I downgraded my router to 1.0.2.03 and it doesn't crash anymore.