Views
Helpful
Replies

RV110W and QuickVPN

IAATOBTAS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm new to these forums so thank you in advance for your help. I recently bought the RV110W VPN firewall for my house so I could access my NAS at home from other locations. I plan on using QuickVPN to do this with my new device. I followed all of the support documentation so far in regards to the setup but so far haven't had luck.

I have a dynamic public IP address through Comcast and I'm registered with NoIP.com as a dynamic DNS service at home. I have the appropriate user accounts set up in the firewall. I also have remote management set up and I can access it from anywhere using my public IP address through HTTPS.

While I'm at, say, a coffee shop or another location, I'm able to "connect" using the QuickVPN client to my home network but I can't seem to access any of the network shares. I know I can't access them through network share names or anything like that so I'm using my NAS's private IP address on the network at home (10.137.116.100). Should I be using a different IP? I'm wondering if I don't fully understand the concept behind VPNs. When I make the connection, I see it successfully connecting in the QuickVPN client, but there is no other sign that it is connected. I expected a virtual network connection in the network and sharing center or some other entry in ipconfig when I check that for settings. What is bridging the two networks and how is it doing it?

The client machine I use to make the VPN connection is a Windows 8 machine with just Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall active. I have added a rule for ICMP echo requests to be allowed through. I also encountered the problem where it couldn't verify network connectivity through ping, so I edited the conf file in the program files folder for the QuickVPN client to 127.0.0.1 and it succeeds. I don't know if this step invalidates the whole process.

Could it be that my service provider at home or the service provider at my distant location are blocking the ports I need? Does the fact that it can't validate the VPN in the final step of connection indicate a problem or is it just one of the bugs I've heard about with Windows 8? Should I try using Windows 7? I'm very eager to understand this.

1 Reply 1

Michael Swenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for contacting Cisco

QuickVPN is not support on Win 8.

You could use the PPTP server on the RV110 and then add the pptp client connectionon your Win 8 box.

- PPTP client is built into the OS of PCs and MACs

Best Regards,