cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 Can it resolve local host names

John Frankish
Level 1
Level 1

I've just replaced my wrt54g with an rvs4000 on a mixed linux/windows network - one of the very useful features of the wrt54g is that it would resolve host names on the local network (albeit with non-Linksys firmware).

Is it possible to set up the rvs4000 so that it will resolve local hostnames without resorting to 3rd party firmware?

I realise there are options with static ip addresses, samba, dnsmasq, etc - but it seems an obvious functionality to be present on the router.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey John,

Alot of design engineers and Cisco employees keep an eye on this community forum, so any suggestions or concerns are noted and who knows, maybe your suggestion will be used as a new rollout of a firmware or a product design.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Unfortunately there is no option in the router to do hostnames and resolution.  It will redirect for you to a dns server, but does not have the option to do static host names.

There's a reason that all 3rd party firmware (and other oem) include this functionality - the punters find it useful

Since the rvs4000 is already resolving hostnames on the local network (status tab/lan), could this functionality be added with the next firmware update?

..and BTW, the "refresh" button is missing from the Status/LAN tab in the admin interface...

Hey John,

Alot of design engineers and Cisco employees keep an eye on this community forum, so any suggestions or concerns are noted and who knows, maybe your suggestion will be used as a new rollout of a firmware or a product design.

I'll take it that:

1. local hostname resolution is accepted as a feature request.

2. the missing "refresh" button on the browser interface lan tab/status is accepted as a bug report.

Thanks