Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 with Verizon DSL, Westell 7500

jcastarn0w
Level 1
Level 1

Urgent Assistance Needed!

We have an existing RVS4000 that has been coexisting peacefully with an ISP managed Netopia 2241N. That configuration has worked fine for over a year.

The company is switching to using Verizon DSL instead. Verizon sent a Westell Model 7500 router. The router works fine with a standalone PC but, in none of the modes can I get internet connectivity through the Westell to the RVS4000. I can't ping the gateway or the DNS addresses and there is zero activity. I've tried the default "routed bridge" settings on the modem as well as the "bridge" settings. I can only get these working directly on a PC but as soon as I put the RVS4000 in between nothing seems to be getting through. I've tried turning off all Firewall features in both devices but hasn't helped.

There is a single, static IP.

What specific modes and settings should be in the RVS4000 to communicate with the Westell Model 7500 in "bridge" mode?

What adjustments should be made to the Westell to pass along the necessary ports that will be needed?

Even though it is a business account, Verizon refuses any assistance beyond getting the unit functioning with a single computer and, if requested, setting their Westell to "bridge" mode.

Thanks in advance.

joel*

5 Replies 5

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Joel,

My cable modem remembers the last MAC address of the PC that was directly connected to the modem.

In this way my SP limits the service to one device at the end of the cable modem.

I wonder if your problem is to just power off and on  the westell modem when you plug the RVS4000 onto the modem.

If this doesn't work, I have to suggest that you have a chat to the good folk at Small business support Center (SBSC).

http://www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

regards Dave

Hello David:

Thank you for taking the time, to post a response. We've been through a few iterations on the Westell. The problems have been manifested on two differnet units, both of which have taken multiple trips to factory default settings and have been turned off and on in various combinations. Verizon recommended the modem be first on then power up the RVS4000.

Thanks for the SBSC link. They will be the next call I make on this unless someone posts a magic bullet.

joel*

Hi Joel.

Go to Setup-> MAC Address Clone and clone the MAC address of the PC that connects successfully to the modem. This should "trick" the modem into thinking that the PC is connecting and allow it to receive an IP address.

Mpyhala:

Thanks for the post!  Years of hearing that trick and I've never ever used it. I will give it a try. Does matter that the PC will generally not be available afterwards - it's my laptop, not one of the company machines.

joel*

Joel,

It does not matter if the laptop will be onsite again or not. I recommend that you write the "new" MAC address on a piece of masking tape on the bottom of the router just in case it is ever needed again. (After a factory default, RMA, etc.) You can also make a backup copy of the config file after the address has been cloned to allow a fast and simple restore to the current settings.