Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400Nv1 & RV082 (& SRW2048) - Thermals & Updates

dlevine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all -

I have a couple of questions. Some of them, I'm sure, have easy answers, but I've spent the last two hours trying to find them on the Cisco support site without having any luck. Hopefully someone here can help.

1 - This is the really important one - where might I find the Thermal Dissipation (BTU) specs for these devices? We're undergoing renovations and the archtect wants to know this for all of our equipment. Most of the various hardware manufacturers have this info in the hardware specs for the device, but it looks like Cisco only lists this information for the Catalyst products (based on searching the support site).

2 - How can I tell which hardware version I've got? Seeing the announcement for the RX0xx series firmware v4.0.0.7 put me into "download mode," ready to check for new drivers and updates for all my hardware. Unfortunately, "This firmware is the initial firmware for hardware Version 3 of the RV0xx Series products" and thus "The firmware and configuration file are not compatible with earlier hardware versions."

I can believe that my RV082 is version 1 - I've had it for a while, but what's hardware version 2? Do I have hardware version 2? I logged into my device and I didn't see it anywhere. I checked the "end of sale/end of life" section of the Cisco supoort site and I didn't see any of my devices listed in there. Clearly, to borrow a phrase from Highlander, "There can be only one."

I ran into a similar problem with my WRVS4400N a while back as well. There was some new firmware and IPS definitions on the site - I downloaded them, and they wouldn't install. Further investigation revealed that there was not only a "v1.0" and a "v2.0" but also a "v1.1" and they weren't cross-compatible. Again - nothing I could find *anywhere* about the older versions no longer being available, or being retired - just that an update (in this case I think it was the IPS definitions) that I'd waited a considerable amount of time for (long enough for the "your definitions are old" emails to turn into spam) was only for the "new-and-improved" version of my hardware.

I've signed up for emails from Cisco about all three of these devices (for all versions that were listed) about a year ago. So far, the only thing I've received was a "new firmware available" email about a month ago for firmware that was released in 2009 that I'd been using since before I signed up to get the emails.

3 - Is it safe to assume that there will never be any future updates for any of my devices? I'm fairly certain that I've yet to see an update come out that would work on any of my hardware.

4 - And, last-but-not-least, is there any chance that Cisco offers a model-to-model trade-in program for these older hardware versions? All of my hardware has a good bit of room left for growth - I'm not ready to upgrade to a Catalyst.

Thanks in advance (and apologies for the rant)

-d

0 Replies 0