Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst C9500-48Y4C Switch wireless controller

MikMek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I read this (below) in the datasheet of the C9500.

SD-Access Embedded Wireless: The Cisco Catalyst 9800 embedded wireless controller software
package can be installed on Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches to enable wireless controller
functionality for distributed branches and small campuses

Does the C9500-48Y4C switch have a wireless chip? Does it have radio capability?

Or is it just used to configure/control access points using a wired connection.

Thanks,

Mikias

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Catalyst 9300 and 9500 can be loaded with an eWLC (elastic WLC) package.  This will allow the switch to have an additional function of a simplified WLC.  Take note, I said "simplified".  It is not a full-blown WLC.  

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286314334/type/286322634/release/17.13.1

Hello Leo,

Thank you for the response, I did see you can install the software from the catalyst 9800 but my concern is:

Does the C9500-48Y4C has wireless capability?

Does the WLC mean Wireless Lan Controller and the connection between the access points (APs) is done thru a wired connection?

Does the C9500-48Y4C has wireless capability?

yes that support check below Guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/guide-c07-744299.html

Does the WLC mean Wireless Lan Controller and the connection between the access points (APs) is done thru a wired connection?

yes AP can register to that WLC 

spend some time read the documentation provided so you will understand the concept of EWC.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello BB,

I don't need EWC functionality my question is simple:

Does the C9500-48Y4C have radio capability meaning is there wifi chip inside the unit? regardless of the software used.
We are try to use this switch in a  secure space where Wifi capability is not allowed.

Thanks,

C9500-48Y4C have radio capability meaning is there wifi chip inside the unit?

I need to look their architechture what chip set they have and  what functionality can that does.

We are try to use this switch in a  secure space where Wifi capability is not allowed.

If i understand correctly - my answer is this can not act as AP for sure. hope that help you.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Note:       HA SSO is not supported with the Catalyst 9400 Series StackWise Virtual setups, nor with the Catalyst 9500 or 9500H Series

meaning u'll have single Active chassis supported with redundant HW. but Cisco doesnt describe resiliency scenarios for this deployment or i couldnt find it