cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does DNAC Center 2.3.5+ still have the concept of Fabric Domains?

pj0503311
Level 1
Level 1

We have a fairly new deployment that has only ever ran v2.3.5.x and we have just begun our SDA fabric journey. Going through documentation, the majority of which is very old, I keep coming across "fabric domains" in addition to fabric sites. I'm fairly familiar with fabric sites since that's all v2.3.5 presents to you. But there is no mention at all of fabric domains within 2.3.5. Every tutorial I've found talks about fabric domains but never once shows making one in v2.3.5 nor can I find an example in v2.3.3. They all tend to be older, admittedly out of date, examples. Maybe someday Cisco will update walkthroughs and demos...

My concern is we have plans to move forward with SDA but I ran into docs expressing a limitation of "10 fabric domains max" for the smaller DNA appliance license. This only increases to 20 max for the mid and high tier appliances. This is a big red flag but only if 2.3.5 still has this concept and only if I can't seem to get around it. Is there some kind of translation from fabric domain and some other organizational concept in newer versions of DNAc/Catalyst Center?

Anyone with more info on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A fabric domain used to be a collection of one or more fabric sites, allowing them to be interconnected with a transit site. This concept no longer exists in 2.2.x.x, but fabric sites can be interconnected with each other using transits with no restrictions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

from my knowledge, Fabric Domain is unique LISP Process , u run on the device. Not sure why one would like to have it more than 1 per switch/site with SDA

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

A fabric site exists within a fabric domain. Fabric domains consist of a collection of sites and the transits that interconnect them. In other words you use them to bundle groups of sites together in a single LISP network, and have communication between the fabric domains be handled outside of SDA. You can read more about fabric domains and related SDA concepts in the CVD: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Campus/cisco-sda-design-guide.html#FabricDomain

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

That document you linked is a great example of out of date documentation as I mentioned. DNA v2.3.5 does not have any of these same menus, layout, or options.

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A fabric domain used to be a collection of one or more fabric sites, allowing them to be interconnected with a transit site. This concept no longer exists in 2.2.x.x, but fabric sites can be interconnected with each other using transits with no restrictions.

Thank you, this is very helpful. This is what I was assuming and hoping. Older documentation made it seem like if you connect your sites via non-SDA networks, like a fusion router connected to an internet circuit, then each of those sites would be their own fabric domain. This presents a problem when you have 30+ sites all separated by non-SDA networks if each site would be its own fabric domain. By site I don’t mean fabric site.