Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting started with SD-WAN/SD-Access

alistair993
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am seeking some advice from those already involved in deploying SD-WAN/SD-Access - any help on the questions below would be greatly appreciated. I have not touched any SD-WAN/Access but currently manage ISR IOX-XE SD-WAN capable routers.

My questions are:

What should I begin with first SD-Access or SD-WAN? I am a bit confused as SD-Access supports Border routers which look like gateway devices?  I want to try build an Internet facing fabric gateway but unsure whether to do this in SD-WAN or SD-Access?

How do you recommend I begin started by experimenting with SDN - should I deploy Cisco DNA first and try join a ISR router?

Many thanks in advance
Alistair

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First, you need to understand what is SD-Access /Wan before you deploying anything.

DNAC - for SD-Access Orchestration tool

vManage - SD-WAN manangement tool

SD-WAN / SD- Acess 2 different solutions towards Software define networking, one solved to Enterprise Lan segment, another one solution for WAN Environment. (we are not sure what you mean deploy DNAC and join ISR routers)

That is the reason I suggest starting with SD underhood components.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/cisco-en-validated-design-and-deployment-guides/ta-p/3777320

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Alistair993, 

You can use the both fabrics making fusion router as SDWAN router where VRF route leaking takes place. We did that implement both SDWAN and SD-Access in our environment. We are using eBGP between the border nodes and the Cisco SDWAN Edge devices.

As a recommendation, I suggest you to first implement the DNA center with SD-Access Environment and test the fabric, Once done then go with the SD-WAN fabric later on.

Regards
Inderdeep Singh

www.thenetworkdna.com

*****RATE THE RESPONSE IF YOU LIKE*****