Views
Helpful
Replies

how to onboard the SDA Fabric Edge which is using stackwise virtual

Raju255265
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , Thank you so much .

Does anyone have any idea how to onboard the stackwise virtual into fabric , as of today LAN automation is not supported.
Im thinking of below approach , really appreciate your valuable suggestions.

1> Manually configure the Stack wise virtual
2> discover the SVL node into DNAC
3> Manually configure all underlay config
4> provision to site and configure fabric edge role

8 Replies 8

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

That is how I would do it - only I would use the "Add link" workflow for routing once I had a single link to an upstream device configured.

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Raju, the procedure is good, except that you cannot discover the SVL until after the underlay routing is configured as the device will not be reachable until routing is established.

Raju255265
Level 1
Level 1

Could you please advise any template for all underlay configuration ? 

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, what underlay routing protocol is used in the site and/or do you have a preferred routing protocol? If LAN Automation has been used in the site for other switches then you could derive manual SVL underlay configs from a LAN Automated switch. Remember to NOT manually assign IP addresses from the LAN Automation pool, use a different IP range for manually configured interfaces. Regards, Jerome

Hi Jerom
why "Remember to NOT manually assign IP addresses from the LAN Automation pool,"? is it bc Csco DHCP doesnt verify IP is already allocated?

Hi Andy, yes, correct. And to be fair, we CAN have overlapping p2p underlay IP addresses in different underlays, or possibly even different areas in the same underlay (although that is very likely over-complicated), just not the same area in the same underlay. So verification of previous IP allocations requires context not available to LAN Automation

Raju255265
Level 1
Level 1

@jedolphi  Thanks a lot for valuable feedback.

I would like to know the reason why we shouldn't use LAN-AUtomation pool with manaul provisioning.
I will be using Border as my seed device , as such I need to bulit Global BGP with fusion for intial border discovery , here Can i use L3 handoff pool (meaning I will take one small /30 from L3 handoff pool /24) or do i need to use a different subnet for this .

The short answer is that there is a potential to create overlapping IP addresses. This is not always a problem, but it can be a problem, depending on the specific network design. Therefore as a general rule please do not manually allocate IP addresses from ranges that Catalyst Center thinks it controls. This is true for any IP pool you enable in Catalyst Center, so yes it applies to both the LAN Automation pool and the Layer 3 Handoff pool