Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC as Proxy ETR

iores
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What exactly means that WLC acts as proxy ETR? I am aware that proxy ETR is used in order for LISP sites to be able to communicate to non-LISP sites but how does it relate to fabric WLC?

7 Replies 7

i'd also be interesting to hear on this. where did u read this statement?
only applicable case could be eWLC on BN imho, but again it wouldnt be anything to do with VXLAN-handoff for WLC imho

@andy!doesnt!like!uucp 

You can find the statement in SD Access Wireless, Why and How Integrating Wireless in SDA by Simone Arena (slide 89, Cisco Live presentation).

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would say that the statement is wrong, as the WLC is just an ETR, as it registers EIDs to the CP, but not a proxy ETR ; WLCs do not support VXLAN or LISP encapsulation, its purely control plane. 

So why do we need a specific route in the RIB for fabric WLC?

bc as part of Fabric underlay with LISP control plane to make its job as ETR i must have its RLOC route in Underlay as /32. it's a requirement for all RLOCs in SDA Fabric.

tnx. i was beating table by my head to give any reasonable explanation to that statement :0)

as @jalejand it's misconception , i'd say it came from Fabric WLC in mixed mode , where bot WLC & Fabric APs can be deployed with legacy centralized SSIDs. In this case WLC is operating as L2 handoff device for clients in that SSIDs. But it has nothing to do with LISP. BRKCRS-2502.pptx (ciscolive.com) slide 129