cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enterprise MPLS vs SD-Access

TNSC2021
Level 1
Level 1

In the past, enterprise MPLS was used to deploy macro-segmentation capability.

Today, both SD-WAN and SD-Access have their own native macro-segmentation techniques (service VPNs & VNs).

While interoperability with enterprise MPLS is possible, it certainly drives up network complexity and operating costs, which begs the question, do we still need enterprise MPLS in the IBN era?

1. Traffic Engineering

2. Fast Reroute

3. P2P Pseudowires

4. Layer 2 VPN

5. Layer 3 VPN

Does SD-Access have solutions for (1-3) above in multi-site deployments?

Or is SR-MPLS or SRv6 required?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

I believe you're asking if SD-Access implements these features BETWEEN fabric sites (not within fabric sites)? The answer is no. Presently SD-Access is not designed to solve complex inter-site convergence SLAs and traffic engineering problems. For inter-site FRR and TE you would need to look at SDWAN or other traditional WAN offerings (MPLS for example). In this case SD-Access would exist at the sites and use the selected WAN technology as a transport.

Cheers, Jerome

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ChuckMcF
Level 1
Level 1

My $0.02: Originally Cisco designed a campus solution called Campus Fabric. When DNA-Center was added to Campus Fabric it was re-packaged as Software Defined - Access, or SD-A. With that in mind, SD-A was built from the ground up as a campus solution. Sure it has flexibility to be used beyond the standard campus however that is it's primary purpose. MPLS CAN be used as a Campus solution however it is also (obviously) used in many other ways. I would certainly not say that SD-A can replace MPLS in many instances however there are times when SD-A would be a better option.

To put SDA over the WAN your best option is to use SD-WAN in conjunction with SD-A (SDAoSDWAN, if you will). That would give you the functionality of 1-3 that you are requesting in a "SD-A" kind of way.

Hope this helps,

Chuck McFadden

Thanks Chuck. I'm looking at SD-WAN transit now, it just seems like a lot of complexity at the edge of a fabric site with the need for manual mappings (VN:service VPN) via network plumbing and multiple chassis, especially in the case of multiple sites. Hopefully Cisco make this simpler for customers.

Hi, yes we are automating the VN:VPN stitching. The code is in limited availability right now (require Cisco SME review/oversight to design and deploy). If you have partner access privileges then I recommend reviewing following URL, or alternatively please start a discussion with your sales team on it. Cheers, Jerome

https://salesconnect.cisco.com/open.html?c=0e423126-e598-40f3-a2c6-295424ed3e4d

If you do have a Cisco sales team see if you can be part of the early field test (EFT) for what I'm calling SDAoSDWAN. As jedolphi mentioned, they are working on code right now. Manual mapping, as you mentioned, is a pain and the new code resolves this. Definitely worth looking into if you are considering SD-WAN as part of your SDA solution. Our plan is to extend our single fabric to a few smaller remote sites using the SDAoSDWAN (SD-AoWAN maybe??) technology/code. The recent pandemic has caused us to shift these plans a bit to the right but we do plan to use this is the somewhat near future.

HTH,

Chuck McFadden

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

I believe you're asking if SD-Access implements these features BETWEEN fabric sites (not within fabric sites)? The answer is no. Presently SD-Access is not designed to solve complex inter-site convergence SLAs and traffic engineering problems. For inter-site FRR and TE you would need to look at SDWAN or other traditional WAN offerings (MPLS for example). In this case SD-Access would exist at the sites and use the selected WAN technology as a transport.

Cheers, Jerome

Thanks Jerome