Views
Helpful
Replies

a tale of two switches

benita.ulisano
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

At our DR site we have not purchased a Director Class switch for our environment. Instead, we have purchased two pairs(4) of MDS 9148s for our arrays, servers, data domain, etc.

The configuration would be two fabrics, 1 pair for VSAN 100 fabric A, the other pair for VSAN 200 fabric B.

I have DCNM installed and I can see the see pair, 1a, 1b as the fabric(s) defined.

1a, 1b have redundant paths for the VNX, Recover Point and Data domain ports. I would like the 2a/2b side to host the servers that I can zone to the storage array.

My question is can I make the first switch 1a, the principal, and the 2nd (2a) edge the subordinate by creating an ISL link between the two. I would like both switches in the same vsan(1a, 2a, vsan100), 1b,2b(vsan 200). 

I have only done this using the core-edge topology so I wasn't sure if I an do this with edge-edge.

Thank you in advance!

Benita Ulisano

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ciao Benita

Principle switch selection can be tuned, by configuring priority.

Default is 128, highest is 1, it's per VSAN.

see eg.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_2/configuration/guides/sysmgnt/nx-os/sysmgmt_cli/domn.pdf

switch(config)#fcdomain priority 25 VSAN 100
Walter.
Btw. do have a FC ISL between primary and DR site ?

Hi Walter,

Thank you so much! The The ISL is between the two switches at the DR site. The data is being replicated using Recover Point from the DR site and Primary Data center. 

Thank you so much!

Benita