Views
Helpful
Replies

add static routes across two VSANs

blueyonderguy
Level 1
Level 1

fcroute for cross vaulting.jpg

I need to statically route traffic between two switches (both MDS9513 running NxOS 4), across different FCIP links, depending on source and destination

- VSAN 500 exists across both switches

- both FCIP links are part of FCIP 500

- VSAN 500 is allowed across both links

- VSAN 500 has valid zoneset and VSAN correctly merges when links are up

- IVR zoneset exists for VSAN 100 and 200

Goal 1

FCID 0xCCCCCC from VSAN 500, switch 1 should talk to FCID 0xDDDDDD, switch 2 using FCIP tunnel fcip1-fcip2 only

Goal 2

FCID 0xAAAAAA from VSAN 100, switch 1 should talk to FCID 0xBBBBBB, switch 2 using FCIP tunnel fcip3-fcip3 only

I tried to setup static routes using link cost 1, this seemed to work for goal 1 as VSAN existed across both links. but I was unable to decide next hop for goal 2 (VSANs 200 couldnt be specified on switch 1 as it didnt exist there). was not able to delete automatically created routes.

what is good way to achieve this

4 Replies 4

blueyonderguy
Level 1
Level 1

update:

I managed to get the routes for goal 1. however the throughput is half than what I get otherwise. is this due to cost? or due to slowness induced by fcroute?

curious why are you doing this ? Have you considered setting up a port channel ?

@dynamoxxx

both links are of different speed and being paid for, by two different applications

I want to restrict each application to its own link.

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

Although static routes may be an option, I have seen bugs with static routes and would not use them myself.  Specifically I have seen very strange behavior with domain services and other fabric services.

The way to accomplish what you are trying to do is using IVR Service Groups, this allows you to carve specific paths for IVR connectivity.  Have a look at the configuration guide for IVR Service Groups.

Brian