In the current setup I have 12 MDS 9513 switches (NX-OS 5.2(1)), 6 per fabric (Mesh Topology). Switches are distributed across different
sites in following manner:
1) SIte A : 2 switches in Odd fabric and 2 switches in Even Fabric
2) Site B : 1 switch in Odd Fabric and 1 switch in Even Fabric
3) Site C : 1 switch in Odd Fabric and 1 switch in Even Fabric
4) Site D : 2 switches in Odd fabric and 2 switches in Even Fabric
Odd Fabric : Production VSAN (100), Backup VSAN (300)
Even Fabric : Production VSAN (200), Backup VSAN ( 400)
Port Channel with 4 ISL links is configured between all the switches in each fabric.
Site B and C are adjacent to each other separated by a wall, whereas Site A and D are 300 metres apart. Synchronous
replication is configured between Site B<->C and Site A<->D.
We need to replace all MDS 9513 with same number of MDS 9710 (16 Gbps) switches running at 6.2(1).
Can someone please guide me to a step by step process for adding a new MDS 9710 switch (16 Gbps) switch in existing Mesh Topology fabric ?
we need more information, e.g.
- did you assign static domain id's (per switch and vsan)
- pwwn based zoning, enhanced or basic zoning
- fc-alias or device alias
Best pracise is to setup a complete new dual fabric a resp b with MDS 9710.
create ISL links between the old and new fabric a resp b, which would propagate the active zonset and eg. device alias or fc-alias db.
you migrate your devices from the old to the new MDS 9710, and do this per fabric; therefore in case of a problem, you can failback.
Thanks for writing back. We are yet to refresh our fabric environment as it is still in planning phase but we will certainly follow best practices like Set Zone distribution to full and enhanced and static Domain ID's for each VSAN.
Currently Device Alias zoning is used where the Alias for WWPN (World Wide Port Number) of the Initiator and target ports are added as the members to a zone.
In our case due to Capex constraints we will be replacing SAN switches in different phases per quarter basis.
1st Quarter: Refersh Site B & C SAN Fabric followed by decommissioning of old switches.
2nd Quarter : Refresh Site A & D SAN Fabric followed by decommissioning of old switches.
Do you have any documented procedure or best practice doc to implement the same ?
Do you foresee any specific challenge with the introduction of new MDS 9710 in the Fabric except compatibility of NX-OS 5.2(1) and 6.2(1) which I had already verified ?
I have done such projects, e.g. migration from MDS to N5K; they require careful planning, but essentially worked without major issues. I have documents which I can unfortunatley not share. However, the general principles to follow are
- migrate one fabric first; then the second one if everything is ok
- check the compat. matrix to find a NX-OS version which new and old MDS support
- check interop matrix regarding the support of all the end devices
- check that fc multipathing is working ok (yes, tape libraries don't support multipathing !!)
- any implications for the OS, if FC-ID changes (new static domain id)
- plan a maintenance window, as some steps will be disruptive (at least per fabric)
Summary: Easy if careful planning is done upfront !
Thanks for your Guidance. I have taken a note of tips provided by you and will incorporate the same in my planning document.
Thanks & Regards,
Let's take this offline; you can reach me anytime, if additional information is needed