cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Dell MD3600f as 3rd Party Storage direct connect to FI 6454 ?

ninepon42
Level 1
Level 1

I have Dell MD3600f need direct connect to FI 6454 with the following equipment

- HXAF240 M5

- VIC 1457

- FI 6454

I want to know if it is compatible ?

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @ninepon42 ,

I think the HX nodes with the VICs (I presume the VIC 1457s are in the HXAF240s) are either a distraction or an indication that you didn't really ask the question you want answered.

So. A  Dell MD3600f is a Fibre Channel storage device. AFAIK - it is Fibre Channel - NOT FCoE

And YES you can attach it to FI 6454s

BUT...

To do this you need to configure the attachment ports as FC ports - which will necessarily be ports 1-4 of the 6454.  And you'll need to switch the FI 6454s to do Fibre Channel Switching (and a bunch of other things that are a bit off topic here)

NOW...

The HX servers.

I'm kind of thinking that if you are attaching the Fibre Channel storage device to the FI 6454s - you just MIGHT want to allow the HX servers access to that storage.  But that was NOT part of your question (hence my comment that you didn't really ask the question you want answered.)

SO

IF you want to give the HX servers (are they configured with ESXi or HyperV? You didn't say) access to that storage, then there is a bit of a process you need to go through to make it happen.  Unfortunately, it's a bit like that joke about the tourist who wants to go to Dublin, so my comment is "Well, if you want to allow FC to the ESXi hosts, I wouldn't start from here" - instead, I'd start at the point in time when the HX install was done, and make sure that you configured the FC attached storage at the same time.

HAVING SAID THAT, I'm not actually sure if you DO want the HX hosts to access the FC storage, so I won't waste time discussing that now, and stick to the simple answer to the simple question

Can Dell MD3600f as 3rd Party Storage direct connect to FI 6454 ?

Answer: YES

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please check https://ucshcltool.cloudapps.cisco.com/public/# , select 'products' , and then product type of 'storage' to see supported FC related storage.

Like Chris mentioned, if this is FC connection, the FIs will need to be in FC 'switching' mode, which will require reboot of the FIs.

If that storage solution is NFS/iSCSI then the FI port config connection will need to be 'appliance' type, and use a supported transceiver.

Kirk...