Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i connect two MDS?

mmarie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello 

I just thinking if i can connect two of Cisco C9148S MDS SAN switch or it not applicable, I have a storage with two MDS's at "Site-A" and UCS Server with one MDS at "Site-B" as the below figure:

Storage.jpg

Please need to know if i can connect "SAN-2" with "SAN-3" Single-Mode connection, so the "UCS Server" at Site-A will connect to the storage at "Site-B".

Appreciate your help 

Thanks

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/storage-networking/mds-9000-series-multilayer-switches/46202-zoning-switches.html
       Apparently it can be done ; but the document contains important issues to consider and take care off.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi @marce1000 

i see that issue if the two MDS have a different active zoneset names, so if i make the same names that will be ok?

Thanks

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/storage-networking/mds-9000-series-multilayer-switches/46202-zoning-switches.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Jason Mooney
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@mmarie You should always have two separate SAN Fabrics, such as an A and B side for dual paths going to  hosts and storage devices.  

You an put a pair of MDS switches in your remote facility, and depending on the distance between them, you can configure buffer credits to on the ISL links to extend your SAN. It is important that the links are clean, can aren't throwing bit errors.

You could also look at implementing a FCIP fiber extension option such as the Cisco MDS 9220i if you wish to traverse an IP WAN.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card