Replies

Cisco MDS9000 Compatibility

jameel.naji
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Currently we have the configuration below:

• Switch : 2 x MDS9000
  • FC HBA : Brocade 825 (AP770A - HP StorageWorks 82B 8Gb Dual Port PCI-e FC HBA)
  • Backup software : Symantec Backup Exec 2012,
  • Server : Proliant DL380 G7
  • MSL2024 with 2xUltrium 3000 LTO5 FC Tape Drives

We have made the correct zoning but we still can’t make the backup library working when connected through SAN switches. It’s always goes offline and one or both tapes disappear from windows device manager plus the medium changer.

The library only working when connected directly to the backup server.

Since the day those hardware installed and HP is trying to get it fix but obviously they don’t have a clear idea at all. They tried so many things but none is working till the moment.

I would highly appreciate if anyone has any idea on how can we get it done. Or is there any compatibility issue between any of the above components.

thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

i am curious what version of NX-OS are you running ?

@dynamoxxx

Version 5.0(1a)

ok, i am on 5.2.8 ..i was previously running on 5.0.7 but as soon as we upgraded 5.2.8 my tape drives (data domain and edl4100) started going offline. Cisco TAC can't find anything yet NX-OS upgrade was the only thing that change in the environment.

@dynamoxxx

Make sure your optics in the switch are compatible with the devices you are connecting (longwave/shortwave) and the fiber is of the right type.  Also, when you do have devices connected to switch, what does "show int fcx/y trans" report?  Are you getting a good signal strength from the source?

What type of modules are you using in the switch?

everything works for 2 years, Thursday i upgrade NX-OS from 5.0.7 to 5.2.8 and on Friday backups stop working ..and now all my optics incompatible ?

@dynamoxxx

Sorry, just thought I'd ask.  Wasn't aware of the background and sometimes it's the obvious things that get overlooked.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card