cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS MLOM adapter question.

naim.aliu
Level 1
Level 1

We have a UCS C220 M4 rack mount server running ESXi 6.0 U3. I currently am only able to run 2 VM's on this host as I only have access to the 2x 1Gbps onboard NIC and access to local storage as I don't have a fibre card for this server to zone in my SAN. My goal is to add 2 x 10Gbps ports for networking and fibre so I can zone in storage. I have been looking at this mlom adapter (VIC 1227) to resolve one of the two issues.

I'm having some confusion with this devices documentation... The data sheet says it is a dual-port Enhanced Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP+) 10-Gbps Ehternet and Fibre Channel over Ethernet capable PCI Express adapter. I'm taking that as I need an ethernet based SFP and that it doesn't support fibre channel only FCoE. The part where I get confused is when I look at the supported media the SFP's are FC based or SFP+ Cable.

Supported media:
? SFP-10G-USR (Ultra short range, MMF)
? SFP-10G-SR(Short range, MMF)
? SFP-10G-LR(Long range, SMF)
? 10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 1 Meter
? 10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 3 Meter
? 10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 5 Meter
? 10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 7 Meter
? SFP-10GB-ACU Cable 7 Meter

I initially thought I could go fibre to this and added 2 SFP-10G-SR modules, but I'm not getting activity lights or anything on it.

Can we go fibre to the MLOM adapter; if not, what specific ethernet modules I can use for this adapter? Thank you for any guidance you can give me on this.

1 Reply 1

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

see spec sheet Table 13

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c220m4-sff-spec-sheet.pdf

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card