cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric Mgr- unknown user, invalid auth password

b.clendening
Level 1
Level 1

in fabric manager, isl shows one member down. 

one switch seems fine on the map but shows status of "unknown user name (server)"

one switch shows red line through on the map and shows status of "invalid auth password or wrong digest (client)"

i can get into each switch individually by right click on map then choose device manager, the first lets me right in, the second i have to enter user and password

the guy that originally set this up is gone of course, and i can't find the configuration spot where i would put in the correct logins and passwords to make it ok again...

any help much appreciated, thanks!

BC

4 Replies 4

Vu Phan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello brian,

In order for FM to discover the fabric correctly, you will need to have the same username/password on all switches in fabric. Here is what you can do to get rid of these messages.

1. if you want to use the same username admin, telnet to each switch and issue the command:

sw# config t

sw(config)# snmp-server user admin auth md5

from FM GUI, click on the icon "rediscover" under File

2. If you want to create a generic user for FM

sw# config t

sw(config)# snmp-server user fcadmin auth md5

from login to FM --> Fabric TAB ---> select fabric --> remove

Then Fabric TAB ---> click Discover ---> enter IP address of one of the switch ---> user fmadmin/password ---> discover

Good luck

Vu,

I had the similar issue and with your helpfull steps it is resolved.

Thanks,

nisar

If changing password on a switch is there any risk to anything in production on them ?

will there be any resets or any chance of getting locked out? is the change instant?

What if I have multiple switches (4) all ISL'ed and currently working and I need to ISL them to new switches with different password, if I change the old switches password to match new switches can it interrupt any paths that it has currently ?

There is no risk if changing switch password. Change password on switch to match with others has nothing to do with ISLs. Again there is no disruption to fiber channel operation.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card