cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FC Zoning on 6248 FI

kfitzpatrick
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Dell host that has a couple FC cards in it.  I have plugged the Dell FC cards directly into the Cisco FI's and would like to configure the zoning to the EMC SAN that is also directly connected to the Cisco FI's.  Is there a way to configure the zoning directly on the FI to allow the Dell WWPN's to see the EMC SAN?  I have all the UCS blades zoned appropriately and it is working, but I need to know if the Dell servers can work the same way or if I need to connect them to the Nexus 5Ks and configure the zoning on them.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kevin

This is not supported, see https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2268117?tstart=0

Connect your Dell servers to the Nexus 5k instead !

There is however a caveat: If I understand you correctly, your storage (EMC) is directly connected to UCS FI ? Therefore you created VSAN's which has zoning managed by UCSM.

If you have a Northbound N5K, which is connected with classical FC to the UCSM FI, it is mandatory not sharing the same VSAN as used above. Therefore you would need to create a separate VSAN, and zoning would be done on the N5k, and also pushed back to the UCS FI.

Although this technically works and has been done multiple times, it is not officially TAC supported. Maybe someone from the TAC can clarify.

Walter.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kevin

This is not supported, see https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2268117?tstart=0

Connect your Dell servers to the Nexus 5k instead !

There is however a caveat: If I understand you correctly, your storage (EMC) is directly connected to UCS FI ? Therefore you created VSAN's which has zoning managed by UCSM.

If you have a Northbound N5K, which is connected with classical FC to the UCSM FI, it is mandatory not sharing the same VSAN as used above. Therefore you would need to create a separate VSAN, and zoning would be done on the N5k, and also pushed back to the UCS FI.

Although this technically works and has been done multiple times, it is not officially TAC supported. Maybe someone from the TAC can clarify.

Walter.

the question was not: can you do zone directly on the FI, but can you do zone directly on the FI with DELL SERVERS !!

Yes, for UCS managed servers (by means of a service profile) , be it blade or rack mount, and direct attached storage !

NOT POSSIBLE / SUPPORTED FOR NON CISCO SERVERS

sorry missed that. I am glad you edited your initial post.

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

kfitzpatrick
Level 1
Level 1

wdey - thanks for that quick response and sorry for not getting back to this post sooner.  One more quick question, I would assume that the 5K's will need to have the ports licensed for FC connectivity?  I originally installed/configured them with just standard licensing and seem to recall that FC connectivity is a separate license per port.

Thanks again!

Hi Kevin

Yes, to use native FC and/or FCoE ports, you need a storage license

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html#concept_5FF2CD9689AE4F4C9B6F97EE43214075

Storage Protocols Services Package

FC_FEATURES_PKG

N5010-SSK9

N5020-SSK9

N55-8P-SSK9

N55-48P-SSK9

N55-96P-SSK9

• #Native Fibre Channel
  • #FCoE
  • #NPV
  • #FC Port Security
  • #Fabric Binding