cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How popular is port-based zoning

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a customer with a Brocade SAN which should be migrated to MDS; at the moment he uses port-based zoning.

I proposed to switch to pwwn based zoning, but customer doesn't like it, although he cannot give me any reason why not.

How popular is port-based zoning ? I hardly could find any customer installation doing that !

3 Replies 3

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5
Walter,

If folks have security issues with physical datacenter access and they are afraid some rogue element will bring in a server and plugin into their SAN and steal their data? Tell them Mc Hammer called and asked for his pants back :-)

There is absolutely no reason to do port based zoning. None ...unless you are a consultant and charge on per zone configuration :-)
@dynamoxxx

Hi

I agree 100%; there are a few things, that mandate pwwn zoning: eg. device-alias and NPV.

Reg. security: with port-based zoning: miscable a server, and the zoning is ok; the only feature which avoids the disaster is masking/mapping on the storage device. (btw. would this not also apply to a rogue server, unless you also fake the pwwn ?).

Walter,

Are we talking about WWN zoning or port zoning (like in physical port zoning where you specify that port fc1/3 can talk to port fc3/23)?
@dynamoxxx