cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add a new switch into an existing fabric?

SweeChin86
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I would like to ask, what is the proper way/procedure to add a new switch into an existing fabric?

And, they are 6 VSANs created in the existing fabric/switch.

Existing fabric MDS 9216, SAN-OS Release 3.3(1c);

new switch MDS 9124, NX-OS Release 5.0(1a).

Many thanks...

3 Replies 3

tedtice01
Level 1
Level 1

It's been awhile since I've had to add a switch but here's what I've done in the past.  Have a Nexus 5020 and a 5010 with 2148T fabric extenders.

switch#configure terminal

switch(config)#interface ethernet 1/xx

switch(config)#switchport mode fex-fabric

switch(config)#fex associate10x

Hope that helps, and if my notes aren't correct someone will set us both straight shortly.

kenk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Swee Chin Liem,

Prior to connecting the new switch to the existing fabric:

1) Configure the appropriate VLANs, and if you're following Cisco recommended best practice regarding static Domain IDS, configure the static Domain IDs for each VSAN

2) Physcially connect and no-shut the links that will join the new swith to the existing fabric.

3) Assuming the new switch has no zoning configured, the new switch will discover the existing active zonesets from the fabric.

If there are any issues that might impact the fabric, the E/TE ports will be suspended to protect the existing fabric.  Should this occur, check the logging log for the error messages produced so that the issues can be addressed.

I do hope this helps,

Ken

One small addition to this, make sure that for the VSANs you're merging, the zone mode (basic/enhanced and default/no default) is setup the same. If they differ, the VSAN will be segmented.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: