Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Add a switch MDS 9148S to existing cisco mds fabric

Hello,

We have one fabric composed by only 1 MDS 9148 switches, and now, we want to add a new 9148 S MDS switch to this fabric.

one VSAN (100) and one zone set activated on this switch.

Now, we need to add a new switch in fabric. This new switch is also one MDS 9148. no zoning configuration there, only vsan 100 created.

ISL Link is already setup between these 2 switch using port fc1/47 & fc1/48.

fc1/47 1 auto on trunking swl TE 16 -- core
fc1/48 1 auto on trunking swl TE 16 -- core

could you please guide further steps to follow on both switches.

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

switch(config)# zone mode enhanced vsan x

All Vsan’s should be allowed on the links between both the switches, and should be in trunk mode.

#show logging, may show something like the below if you don't have matching modes:

entry number 172: ZONE-2-ZS_MERGE_FAILED

%$VSAN 10%$ Zone merge failure, isolating interface port-channelXX

Kirk...

Hi,

I have MDS 9710 and We are replacing nexus 5K Switches with MDs9396. 
As the MDS 9710 are running the VSANS with Priority 1,domain ID 100  and I have set the new Switches domain ID 10 and 11 on each Fabric. The new Switches done have zones or zoneset. Is there any thing we need to think before We connect the new Switches with port-channel with Trunk mode on allowing all VSAN.

Also Can change the Priority of the Core Switches from priority 1 to 128 and will this be diruptive

markanderson
Level 1
Level 1

Please be sure to change the priority on the new switch to be the principal switch before connecting the ISL links to the production switch.

This will prevent any unforeseen events while changing the priority and running the fdcomain restart command to apply the changes to the fcdomain running config.

you can apply and verify the fcdomain running and configured priority using:

fcdomain priority 1 vsan 100
fcdomain restart disruptive vsan 100 
show fcdomain domain-list van 100 

I hope this helps and please be sure to review the applicable documentation on CCO.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card