cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is the "show interface brief" command 100% safe?

tbehman_emc
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning on performing a health check on multiple Cisco SAN switches. This check will be performed five or more times a day. I know that the "show" commands are usually safe commands, but I have seen instances where "show tech-support" has caused the supervisor to restart. This type of outage is not acceptable.

1) Does anyone know of an instance where "show interface brief" has caused any kind of problem?

2) I currently use Device Manager to perform health checks. Does Device Manager use a "show interface" command to display port states?

3) What kind of CPU usage does "show interface brief" have on a SAN switch?

4) Does anyone have a low-level explanation of what happens when a "show interface brief" command is executed?

5) Is it safe to run "show interface brief" many times a day and every day of the year?

3 Replies 3

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

i can tell you that we run "show int fc X" every 5 minutes. We use a perl script that telnets to the switch every 5 minutes, runs "show int fc X" on specific ports, dumps output to log file on the server and then parses it for link status. This is how we monitor our DWDM links.

@dynamoxxx

How long have you been performing this check? Have you ever seen any issues with running this command? Has the switch ever had to restart because of this command?

i've been doing this for 1.5 years now, not a single hiccup or issue.

@dynamoxxx
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: