cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iSCSI over IPv6

HotmailUser
Level 1
Level 1

Can Cisco's iSCSI hardware be deployed on a Windows Server 2008 IPv6 network that uses InfiniBand as the underlying I/O fabric?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

inch
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Are you running IP over IB? Are you using a IB/Ethernet router to get the traffic from ethernet to IB?

If so, yes :)

There won't be any Ethernet based technologies involved in my datacenters.

And yes, I'll run IP over InfiniBand.

I don't want to get into some political discussion over why anyone should use Ethernet while InfiniBand offers much more bandwidth.

Can't iSCSI run over IPv6?

Thanks.

G'day,

Of course it can run over IPv6 - so long as your IB/Ethernet bridge is not going to do anything whacky you should be fine.

For more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080664d94.html

and

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk648/tk872/tk373/technologies_white_paper09186a00802219bc.html

I would say however, depending on the size of your datacentre you might want to look at the nexus switches vs infiniband. I know the inifiband is very well priced a the moment but dual 10gbE cards these days are only ~1200(AUD)...

:)

Why would I need an IB/Ethernet bridge? I won't be using any Ethernet technologies in my datacenter.

Isn't most of Australia warm and sunny? I'll probably build one of my datacenters there.

What are you going to use as your iscsi target? What sort of storage are you going to use?

I'm as yet undecided on what kind of hardware I'll use in my datacenters, except that I'll be using some highest bandwidth InfiniBand implementation for all I/O.

But, I'll use Windows Server 2008 to run all my server software and possibly Cisco's VFrame product as well.

OK. I've figured it out.

I'll use Windows Server 2003, or better yet, Windows Server 2008 servers with loads of RAM as my iSCSI targets. I think there are storage solutions available from EMC that use RAM for storage and hopefully they work with Server 2008.

I don't care about stupid 10Gbps Ethernet and I'll use high bandwidth InfiniBand for all I/O as I've sworn before. And I'll use IPv6 QoS to prioritize my IP traffic.

InfiniBand rocks!