Views
Helpful
Replies

Merging configuration on Cisco MDS Core FC switch from edge FC switches

dnaidu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a Core- Edge Design for our SAN Fabric & we are trying to deal with lots of legacy & misconfiguration accross.

What: I am trying to merge or infact have all the fcalias,zone, etc configuration of all the edge switch on the core fc switch, rather than having partial configs on edge & partial on core. So if edge switch has an fcalias name storage1 & host1. I want these configs to be on core swicth.

I know I can see them on the core, when checking the zoneset(due to uplink & VSAN merging).

But, would like to have the configs copied to core rather than retyping the configs again on the core.

Why: We will be retiring couple of edge switches & connect them to the core directly. So we dont want them to be typed again, but just automatically copied/merge in the running config with help of some commands.

Given the below design.

We have VSANs identical on Core & Edge swicthes(most of the places, where we need)

Cisco MDS 9513A: Core Switch handling FabricA

|--> Approx 20-30 Cisco MDS 9124E Edge FC Switches

Cisco MDS 9513B: Core Switch handling FabricB

|--> Approx 20-30 Cisco MDS 9124E Edge FC Switches.

CORE FC Software(4.2 & higher)

BIOS:      version 1.0.10

loader:    version N/A

kickstart: version 4.2(3)

system:    version 4.2(3)

Edge Software( 3.3 & higher)

BIOS:      version 1.0.12

kickstart: version 3.3(1c)

system:    version 3.3(1c)

Any input or thoughs are appreciated.

9 Replies 9

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

sounds like what Dennis wants in this thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2091134?tstart=0

also have you considered changing your 9124e into NPV mode so you don't have to deal with all this mess. Changing to NPV mode is disruptive but make managing this so much better.

@dynamoxxx

Looks like, sort of if enhance mode & distributes ther trick without any disruption of config/IO.

NPV mode, hmm, not sure we can afford an disruptive change on the fabric, but thats good to know.

Agan, I am not sure if zonset distribute helps. Bcos eading

"Everytimes activate the zoneset, a full zoneset will also distribute to the other switches.".

I dont want to distribuet to other swicthes. I need to add/update the running config to the core swicth only.

Hope, someone from Cisco have some more specific insite.

kenk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Deepak,

It sounds like your trying to consolidate all the fcalias names that are configured on the edge switches on the core(s) switch.

Without knowing the specifics of your environment, I would suggest that you simply "cut & paste" all the fcalias entries from each edge switch into your core switch.  Once consolidated, you can then safely do all your zoning changes from your core switch to keep the fabric in sync.

As earlier posts have suggested, there are methods of distributing the fcalias's but that may expose you to some risk...namely that if done incorrectly you may inadvertantly overwrite or delete fcalias entries.

Of coure, if you need specific assistance, a TAC Service Request is the way to go.

Regards,

Ken

Thanks Ken for ur reply. I understand that copy & paste is my option But wanted to ensure if Cisco facilitates this feture with commands. I hope atleast someone might have been in the same situation.

>>It sounds like your trying to consolidate all the fcalias names that are configured on the edge switches on the core(s) switch.

Not just fcalias, but zone as well.

>>Without knowing the specifics of your environment

My initial post has basic details, let me know if you need any specifc details, you u can just point me to some pointers.

>>Of coure, if you need specific assistance, a TAC Service Request is the way to go.

We have gear/support from HDS, so TAC might not be possible, unless they entertain free quries

kenk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Deepak,

You're very welcome.

Zoning details can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/configuration/guides/cli_3_3/zone.html

If you obtained MDS switches from HDS, my understanding is that you would contact them for MDS assistance.

You would need a valid service contract to work directly with the Cisco TAC.

Regards,

Ken

Ken,

Our Network team has a valid Cisco Contract for TAC support for Cisco Nexus & other Swicthes & Routers.

Can I use that contract to get support for configuration related(not hardware) from TAC for Cisco MDS 9513 & other FC swicthes brough from HDS, is it possible ?

Thanks for ur time.

kenk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Deepak,

Per my understanding of how the TAC and service contracts work, no.

Do you have support (for the MDS switches) via HDS?

Regards,

Ken

>>Do you have support (for the MDS switches) via HDS?

Unfortunately, Yes. I ended up supporting most of the hardware & software install/upgrades, as their knowledge is limited.

More over they dont support configuration issues, as per their support policy.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card