Views
Helpful
Replies

New to MDS_vSAN

krish.regime
Level 1
Level 1

Hello There,

We are new to CISCO MDS Switches, I would like to get you suggestion on an existing setup that was done  recently.

Environment is,  3 Cisco Servers with 2port HBA over FC connecting  to a FC SAN (with dual controller).  To enable this connection we brought 2 X MDS 9148 FC Switches and done the FC cabling with redundancy.

After the basic setup of defining  admin IP's for MDS switches using console, i just gone by "Quick setup wizard FC " and have selected

( ticks )all  concerned ports  in one default VSAN (0001?) [ Server1, Server2, Server 3, SANCnt1, SANCnt2 ] and have made the PORTS UP.

Everything seem to be working fine and i could see at the VMWare level multipathing also looks fine. 

Is there anything i am lacking and which may turn-up (performance) at a later stage as a big concern with this setup. Please advise with your suggestions if any i have to make sure for this small setup.

Thanks in Advance.

Krish

2 Replies 2

krun_shah
Level 1
Level 1

I would say to create one vsan with a different number on each switch. e.g. VSAN 10 on MDS 1 and Vsan 11 on MDS 2. and put each port in vsan 10 or aa on each switch. This way you have clearly isolate two SAN even if someone unintentionally connects a cable between MDS1 and MDS2. Shut down and out-of-service ports that you are not going to be using.

Thanks krun_shah, That was helpfull and yes all out-of-service ports were kept admin down.