Views
Helpful
Replies

No FCping when IVR enabled

pawel.balcerzak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an issue with a proper behaviour of some storage devices within one particular VSAN in a topology where IVR mechanism is enabled and IVR topology is definied manually. 

In general: the issue persists in the bus sector of the Cisco MDS topology; used and taken into consideration devices: MDS9148 with R5.2(8e).

We have 4 Cisco MDS9148 devices in a bus topology, connected to each other via port-channel interfaces consist of two physical interefaces: MDS1<>MDS2<>MDS3<>MDS4 - they form Fabric B network concerning our whole SAN topology. Redundant devices form Fabric A, however the issue appears within this part of the Fabric B only.

The issue has started after the MDS2 switch rebooted. All storage devices connected to the MDS4 switch which communicate with respective devices connected to the MDS2 switch within VSAN 401 stopped to see them. When I try to FCping exemplary MDS2 storage device from MDS4 switch - no success. Neighter native pWWN/FCID of the storage device nor IVR pWWN/FCID returns any replies. Of course this results in not properly working native and IVR zones, if the zones connect storage devices from MDS2 and MDS4 switches within VSAN 401.

If I try to FCping the exemplary storage device connected to MDS2 from MDS1 or MDS3 switches, I receive replies.

Next important finding: the exemplary storage device connected to MDS2 is seen on the MDS4 switch in FCNS table as well as has asterisk sign within all zones - even if the zone does not work properly.

One additional test was done: I have connected new MDS5 switch to MDS3 using trunk interface, created VSAN 401, connected a server to MDS5 and assigned it to VSAN401 (VSAN 401 is up). No IVR mechanism enabled on the MDS5 switch - FCping from MDS5 to MDS2 using native FCID works. When IVR enabled on the MDS5 - FCping using native FCID does not work.

Do you have any suggestions what should be checked/done to resolve the issue?

I would appreciate all your feedbacks.

Best regards - Pawel. 

1 Reply 1

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Pawel

Don't have the solution for you but

IVR allows device discovery across VSANs. IVR also supports FC ping and FC traceroute across VSANs using the following criteria:

Either FC ID or pWWN can be used.

Must be initiated from a switch with an active IVR zone member.