Views
Helpful
Replies

performance metrix documentation

ivybeccukbc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

When I do a "right click" on a FC port in Device Manager, a panel shows up with lots of information about errors and performance.

right click monitor on port.JPG

I looked in  all the downloadable PDF's but I could not find a detailed description on the errors and performance functions and features.

I am looking for a good explanation on this matter using GUI and CLI.

Regards,

Ivy

6 Replies 6

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Most of those error counters are documented in the Fiber Channel T11 standards.  The latest version of FC-SW to be specific.

These are not Cisco MDS specific counters, any Fiber Channel switch that follows the standards would track these types of error.

These are usually very low level link issues that would be caused by a failing transceiver or a bad cable or patch panel connection.  A pinched or bent fiber cable may also cause these types of errors. If you see these incrementing...I would replace the SFPs and cables first.

HTH, Mike

Hello Mike,

Does this mean that Cisco has NO manual on this?

I looked for the Fibre Channel T11 standards that describe the performance metrix by using our friend Google:

FCSW330.pdf does not explain at all the Cisco monitor fields.

A bit disappointed in Cisco now...

Ivy

The best option is to hit the Help button on the Device Manager display to see what the Device Manager Help files show for the current screen.

Section 10 of the FC-FS3 T11 spec explains Frame Transimssion and Reception.

Hello,

When I click on the Device Manager "Help contents" or on the monitor pane help button a Fabric Manager Online Help web page opens with - empty content -

Nice help ;-(

Rgds,

Ivy

Interesting...I get the page I posted above.

What version of FM/DM is installed on your work station?

Do you see the following file in Windows Explorer?

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\dcm\fm\help\fmhelp\frameerrors.html

Can you paste here the URL that is displayed in the browser that results in the empty screen?

Could be that the help files are not installed or were removed, or the pointer for the Help button is not pointing to the right location.

Hello Mike,

We have DM 4.2(1b) installed on our directors

and FM 4.2(1b) and 4.2(7b) installed.

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Cisco%20Systems/dcm/fm/help/fmhelp/frameerrors.html

is 3KB in size and has no content on our FM server (A) with 4.2(7b)

On our FM server (B) with 4.2(1b) there is NO frameerrors.html!

Rgds,

Ivy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card