Views
Helpful
Replies

Port flapping between Offline and Initialization on ISL port-channel

bml
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Today i've tried to configure up a ISL port-channel between an older Nexus 5548 and a brand new MDS 9148t. 

Now, the issue/problem is that on one fabric, everything works perfectly, and the port-channel is up and running with it's 2 members.

On the second fabric, 1 out of 2 ports came up fine, and port-channel looked ok (though with only 1 member). The second was "flapping" between a status of Offline or Initializing. So, i replaced the SFP at both ends for the port that was having issues, and replaced the cable. just to try an eliminate that as a source for the error.

Then when i checked, both ports in that port-channel was now "flapping" between Offline and Initializing..... so now i'm confused... What could be wrong ? (and yes, i'm certain i replaced the SFP in the correct port)

Anyone have any good ideas or suggestions on things to try to get this link running like it should do ?

To summarise abit about the environment.

2 completely separate fabrics, where one works like expected, and the second have the above issues.

Each switch of the same type is running the exact same Software/OS.

Each fabrics consists of a Nexus 5548 with a module with 8 FC ports.

Each fabric consists of a MDS9148

Each fabric consists of a new MDS 9148t

So, before they were connected 5548 --> 9148 --> 9148t

Now, i'm trying to connect the 5548 directly to the 9148t, and i guess create a "ring", and once that is done successfully i'll then completely remove the old 9148.

1 Reply 1

bml
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting!

When i left last night, both ports where down, and 1 was in a port-channel, the other was outside. Arrived today, and both ports were operational.... so moved the port outside the port-channel into it (channel-group x on the interface) and lo and behold.... that port now starts flapping between offline and initilizing again ..... Wonder if it fixes itself if i leave it alone for 12-24 hours like last time ....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: