cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ports unable to come up in specific VSAN

blueyonderguy
Level 1
Level 1

One of my switch is showing unusual behaviour. Few ports went into "initialising" mode and refused to come up.

Once I change the VSAN of the port, they come up well. If the VSAN is set back to original value, it again goes down.

Event log shows following

%IVR-3-DEVICE_ON_WRONG_NATIVE_AFID_VSAN: Device with port WWN 50:06:0f:80:05:49:f1:20 (FCID:0x260005, native VSAN 100 nati

ve AFID 1) may not be exported to other VSANs (for Inter-VSAN zoning) because it has come online in VSAN 110 AFID 1
%PORT-5-IF_UP: %$VSAN 110%$ Interface fc1/6 is up in mode F
%PORT-5-IF_DOWN_INITIALIZING: %$VSAN 110%$ Interface fc1/6 is down (Initializing)

Its also seen that two VSANs have got same domain-id. Is this the issue? I have now set different prefferred domain id for one VSAN manually but do I need to suspend the VSAN and activate again to make that change effective?

4 Replies 4

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

you need to restart fcdomain which is disruptive to fc traffic

Fibre Channel domains can be started disruptively or nondisruptively. If you perform a disruptive restart,

reconfigure fabric (RCF) frames are sent to other switches in the fabric and data traffic is disrupted on

all the switches in the VSAN (including remotely segmented ISLs). If you perform a nondisruptive

restart, build fabric (BF) frames are sent to other switches in the fabric and data traffic is disrupted only

on the switch.

If you are attempting to resolve a domain ID conflict, you must manually assign domain IDs. A

disruptive restart is required to apply most configuration changes–including manually assigned domain

IDs. Nondisruptive domain restarts are acceptable only when changing a preferred domain ID into a

static one (and the actual domain ID remains the same).

Note A static domain is specifically configured by the user and may be different from the runtime domain. If

the domain IDs are different, the runtime domain ID changes to take on the static domain ID after the

next restart, either disruptive or nondisruptive.

fcdomain restart disruptive vsan

@dynamoxxx

Kris Vandecruys
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi BlueYonder,

The Issue you are seeing in the log files is because you have conflicting information in your ivr zoneset and your port settings.

More specifically, you have an IVR zone with member 50:06:0f:80:05:49:f1:20 vsan 100 defined, but 50:06:0f:80:05:49:f1:20 comes online on a port that is configured in vsan 110.

This command will most likely reveal which zone this is:

show ivr zoneset | incl 50:06:0f:80:05:49:f1:20 p 5 n 3

You will have to make the decision to either change the vsan of the port or the member definition of your ivr zone.

As for your domain-id question,  you can have equal domain-ids present in different VSANs, but if you want to IVR between those, you will need to use IVR NAT.  This document will help you with this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/configuration/guides/cli_3_3/ivr.html

hth,

Kris

that link does not work, must be for Cisco employee/partners only.

@dynamoxxx

Kris: i guess you are pointing to IVR config guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/nx-os/configuration/guides/ivr/nx-os_ivr/ivrbasic.html

From your comment, it seems that the logged message is just for information and correct behaviour as per change that I introduce in the system. Its not leading to solution of my original issue.

I am unable to understand why the port does not come up if its configured for VSAN 100 (in my case). The moment VSAN is changed to anything other than 100, FLOGI is performed by host and port comes up in F mode. If VSAN is set to 100 again, then the port goes into "initialising" state again.

I have tried to purge persistant FCIDs. Next thing I am going to try is by suspending one of the VSAN and activate it again. If that doesnt solve then would restart fcdomain as suggested by dynamoxxx. I have tried non disruptive fcdomain restart but it doesnt change anything.

waiting for the weekend :-w

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card