cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about NPV

zma
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to SAN, I am looking at a requirement to use a 5548 UP to bridge FCOE to FC using NPV.

The 5548UP needs to be configured with NPV mode to connect to upstream FCF through NP mode. The downstream traffic is from a blade chassis through a Nexus 4000. The server FC traffic through 4000 is trunked over ETH port-channel over a VSAN101. 

I am looking at a design to configure the 5548UP with a SAN port channel with 2 ports to interface the upstream NPIV device. For the downstream connection to server, I would like to keep it as portchannel of 2 10G interfaces with FC VSAN 101 over.

I don't have the hardware yet to test the commands. Would this design work? Questions I have:

1. Is NP port mode supported over a SAN port channel to NPIV?

2. Can I bind vFC to VSAN 101 and configure it as the F port?

3. If there are multiple SAN initiators in VSAN 101, would the F port mode work? Do I need to enable NIPV as well as NPV for this purpose?

Thanks a lot.

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't understand quite what you want to achieve. Please check

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/mkt_ops_guides/513_n1_1/n5k_ops_fcoe.pdf

or

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/116248-configure-fcoe-00.html

where the UCS Fabric Interconnect is a FCoE NPV device, and the Northbound N5K is running in NPIV mode.

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
1. Is NP port mode supported over a SAN port channel to NPIV? Yes

2. Can I bind vFC to VSAN 101 and configure it as the F port? Yes it will be a. Virtual f port.
As Walters documents point out
“On an FCoE NPV device, the VFC interfaces bound to server-facing ports are configured in VF mode and the VFC interfaces facing the FCoE FCF are configured as VNP ports. In the following configuration example, the FCoE NPV device uses the FCOE_NPV_PKG license to enable the FCoE NPV feature. We recommend that you selectively allow a specific list of VSANs instead of allowing all VSANs on the VNP port.”

3. If there are multiple SAN initiators in VSAN 101, would the F port mode work? Do I need to enable NIPV as well as NPV for this purpose? No you can only configure NPV or NPIV mode not both at a time.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card