cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace MDS 9513 Principle/Core switch in a Production fabric

Vinod Munnuru
Level 1
Level 1

We have a MDS 9513 Core switch which is also Principle switch in the Production fabric. This needs to be replaced. I am planning these steps:

1. Take Backup Configuration(runing config, Licenses, zones) to TFTP Server

2. Block the ISL's, shutdown the swith

3. Unplug the cables, replace the switch.

4. Once the switch is replaced, copy the running config back to switch

5. Enable the ISL ports

Anyone who has experinced this situation, can share any standard document available such kind of scenario?

Also please let me know if anything else needs to be take care.

3 Replies 3

Vinod

I've done Plenty of swithch adds /removes & swaps....  This Is what I'd do differently

Copy running to startup and take a copy of the startup

- no need for the licences as they are keyed to the switch and cannot be used on the new one

- No real need for the zone stuff either as you should be distributing all zone info and the switch merge will add that back.

2 & 3 look fine

4. Do base config of new switch, adding ISL's, VSAN's & port configs (vsan membership etc)

5. Enable ISL's

When the switch merges back in, all device aliases & zone configs will be replicated to the switch automatically.

Question:  Are storage ports connected to theis switch?  Are you using any hosts that will complain/not work if the FCID on one of those ports changes?

Steven

Steven,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, storage ports are connected to this switch(IBM XIV, VMAX).

Are you using any hosts that will complain/not work if the FCID on one of those ports changes? - I need to check on this. Btw, how can I determine this.

Do you have any documented procedure(best practice).

Vinod Munnuru.

HPUX and AIX are very sensitive to fcid change.

@dynamoxxx