cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SAN Extn in Same Fabric - MDS 9513

soodsandeep
Level 1
Level 1

I have two MDS switches in 1 fabric. My Tape Drive is in VSAN 112 in sw1 and my host is in VSAN 1002 in sw2. I have shanged the VSAN ID of 112 on that port of Tape Drive to VSAN ID 1002. But still I cannot see tape drive in sw2 or the database is not distributing in both switches that's what I am figuring out. As in Sw2 where the original VSAN ID 1002 is it has fcaliases , zones and zoneset. But in SW1 even though I have created this VSAN ID 1002 but still I cannot see that the zoning database get populated to sw1.

Any advise please.

Thanks

sam.

11 Replies 11

Do you have a FC trunk between the 2 switches or do you have a direct connection between the 2 switches on the VSAN? If not that is likely the issue. Do you show FLOGI for the 2 devices on the respective switches? Either of these things could be causing your issue. Also don't forget about the FCping command to help troubleshoot as well.

Hope this helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Sw1 and Sw2 has the direct ISL between them. SW2 has this new Tape VSAN 1002. Sw1 didn't have this vsan so I have created this VSAN also there.

FLOGI: This is how I find out the problem. Because Tape are directly connected to SW1. I can do flogi there. But on SW2 its not showing in FCNS database. Flogi will not work because its not direct connection in SW2.

As I said SW2 has this new VSAN [sw 1 too now has this] but its zone database and fcns database not getting populated in SW1 where tape drives are directly connected. My zoning mode is enhanced.

Any help please.

Thanks You.

Problem Switch1:

FCSW2(config)# sh zone status vsan 1002

VSAN: 1002 default-zone: deny distribute: full Interop: default

mode: enhanced merge-control: allow

session: none

hard-zoning: enabled broadcast: enabled

Default zone:

qos: none broadcast: disabled ronly: disabled

Full Zoning Database :

DB size: 116 bytes

Zonesets:0  Zones:0 Aliases: 2 Attribute-groups: 1

Active Zoning Database :

Database Not Available

Current Switch 2:

Miami-HDS9513-2# sho zone status vsan 1002

VSAN: 1002 default-zone: deny distribute: full Interop: default

mode: enhanced merge-control: allow

session: none

hard-zoning: enabled broadcast: enabled

Default zone:

qos: none broadcast: disabled ronly: disabled

Full Zoning Database :

DB size: 3152 bytes

Zonesets:1  Zones:12 Aliases: 17 Attribute-groups: 1

Active Zoning Database :

DB size: 1044 bytes

Name: MIAMI_HDPS_BACKUP_TAPE_VSAN1002  Zonesets:1  Zones:12

Anuther this I have noticed that the Trunk Ports between these two switches are only for Data VSAN 12 only. We have 6 Trunk ports [TE] ports they all saying Allowed VSAN 12.

Question is: Can it be changed so that Tape VSAN 1002 traffic can be allowed as well in these Trunks?

ALSO

Is it recommended to allow such traffic or should we create a new Trunk between two switches.

In any case do you have procedure to allow such traffic [if technically possible].

Yes you can add vsan 1002 to the trunk config.  trunking it along with disk traffic will be fine as long as you are not expecting high enough traffic levels to saturate the link.

Are you saying you have 6 seperate trunks configured between the switches OR one trunk with all 6 links in it?

Once the vsan is allowed through, it should automatically replcate all of the zone information to the new switch.

I agree with Steven.  If you dont allow the VSAN over the trunk between the switches then you FC traffic cannot flow similar to a regular data VLAN.  Also is there are reason you have 6 trunks are they all betweent he 2 switches?  If so you may want to consider placing them into a port-channel.

They all are part of Trunk its 4 Connections make 1 Trunk.

I am lloking the prociedure now to modify the VSAN allowed list as its set currently, only 12 and I need to add 1002 in this list as well. I am expecting I have to do this in all 4 Ports. IT seems to me its port level configuration not global trunk level.

No, you need to do it to the trunk config, not on the member ports.  that is ignored.

Here is something to get you started:

config t

interface trunk_name

switchport trunk allowed vsan add vsan_id

This is what I am getting:

Miami-HDS9513-2# config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Miami-HDS9513-2(config)# interface fc9/13

Miami-HDS9513-2(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vsan 12

port already in a port-channel, no config allowed

could not update trunking membership

Miami-HDS9513-2(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vsan add 1002

port already in a port-channel, no config allowed

could not update trunking membership

Miami-HDS9513-2(config-if)#

This worked from Fabric Manager:

Add VSAN to allowed-active list. In Fabric Manager, choose Switches > Interfaces > FC Logical, select the Trunk Config tab, and set the Allowed VSANs field. Click Apply Changes.

Thank you both for  all the help you have provided.

I had a feeling that the VSAN was not allowed to pass.  If you look at the port channel configuration you will see the allowed VSAN configured.  The reason you got the errors before was that you can not apply configurations to the interface if its a channel member.  It has to be made the channel interface that intern makes the change to the interface its self. 

Glad it worked out for you.  Please be sure to make this as answered.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card