Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site Data Replication

dedra_live
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are currently working to design a DR site with site to site data replication via Oracle products.

CWDM and DWDM seems interesting but I would like to know how does the commucation over these solutions happen. Is it over IP network with IP source/target addressess or something else. What is the protocol used.

Secondly, we are looking for 40Mbps bandwidth over fibre between Active and DR site. Is CWDM/DWDM the right option. Or there could be other options like through plain routing via edge routers between the data center.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

FCP is the protocol that you would run over CWDM/DWDM.  For 40Mbps, either is fine.  What is your distance? Is it point to point or a ring?

You could also do FCIP, which is over a regular IP network, if you have Metro-E.  I prefer to use optical technologies like CWDM and DWDM however, especially with synchronous replication.

Post the distance between the sites and if its PtP or ring topology.

Recently i setup replication between 2 datacenters that were about 35 miles apart.  We had a DWDM/PtP between them running at 10Gbits total bandwidth.  I had a 2Gbit slice of that.  the latency of that DWDM and the speed of my connection allowed me to run a simple ISL between the 2 sites.  Nothing special required.  just built a channel and trunked it.  Worked great.  Just thought i would share a past experience in case it is in line with what you are trying to do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: