Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart zonning best practices

bdf7
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I cant find any best practices for smart zonning configuration.

In my case I have 4 target ports from storage array in fabric and 20 initiator (server) ports.

1.Should I create 4 smart zones per each target or I can add all targets into 1 smart zone?

2.Are there any restrictions for maximun number of initiator in 1 smart zone? Now I have 20 servers but later server count will be more than 200. Or any best practicies for initiator count?

3.I use enhanced zonning. When I do commit on core switch and distribute current config on fabric it copies in running config on edge switches.

- Should I do copy run start on core switch?

- Should I do copy run start on all edge switches after zone changes on core switch?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @bdf7 

Yes, you can instruct all your switches in the fabric to copy the running config in the startup config like this:

switch# copy running-config startup-config fabric

This command uses CFS (Cisco Fabric Services)

Cheers,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1. Smart zoning eliminates the need to create a single initiator to single target zones, and programs TCAMs efficiently by identifying initiator-target pairs and configuring those only in hardware. So yes, you can add all targets in the zone.

2. As per config guide, the maximum number of members in the zone is 50. Reference: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/8_x/config/config_limits/cisco_mds9000_config_limits_8x.html 

If you have more then 200 initiators, then you will need to split them in multiple zones.

3. You do not have to issue the copy running-config startup-config command to store the active zoneset. However, you need to issue the copy running-config startup-config command on all switches to save the full zone set information to the startup configuration.

Cheers,

Sergiu

Hi Sergiu,

Thanks so much for your reply. That is exactly what I was looking for!

Are there any possibility to initiate copy running-config startup-config from core switch on all edge switches? 

Hi @bdf7 

Yes, you can instruct all your switches in the fabric to copy the running config in the startup config like this:

switch# copy running-config startup-config fabric

This command uses CFS (Cisco Fabric Services)

Cheers,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: