cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Storage Networking question

Rick Pancratz
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to storage networking and have been tasked with updating the configurations of two Cisco MDS 9124s for FC connectivity to four new Cisco UCS blade servers.  Unfortunately, I have never worked on the MDS 9000 platforms and am unsure on how to modify the current configurations and not disrupt production.

I have been provided the pwwn #s for each of the new blade server hba's.  The new blade servers are referenced as fcalias EPGS-ESX-12 thru 15.

I have attached copies of the current configurations for both 9124s, along with separate attachements for the changes I perceive need to be made on each switch.

I am interested in obtaining information/procedure on how to effect these changes in a non-disruptive manner to the production environment.

Thank you in advance for all support provided.

Rick Pancratz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rick,

For each new server you would add in a new fcalias like you have:

fcalias name EPGS-ESX-12 vsan 401

member pwwn 20:00:00:25:b5:10:00:3f

fcalias name EPGS-ESX-13 vsan 401

member pwwn 20:00:00:25:b5:10:00:7f

For the zones themselves you should do 1 initiator to 1 target or 1 initiator to multiple targets like the example below (currently you have many initiators and many targets in the same zone):

zone name EPGS-ESX12-NETAPP vsan 401

member fcalias EPGS-ESX-12

member fcalias NetApp-3140-P1-A

member fcalias NetApp-3140-P4-B

member fcalias NetApp-2040-P1-A

zone name EPGS-ESX13-NETAPP vsan 401

member fcalias EPGS-ESX-13

zoneset name EPGS-UCS-PROD-A vsan 401

member EPGS-ESX

member EPGS-ESX12-NETAPP

member EPGS-ESX13-NETAPP

zoneset activate name EPGS-UCS-PROD-A vsan 401

This blog is a pretty good reference for starters http://blog.scottlowe.org/2009/10/20/new-users-guide-to-managing-cisco-mds-zones-via-cli/  as well as http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/san-os/quick/guide/quick_cg.html

Also, I'd highly recommend changing your admin password since the hash was in the attachment.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rick,

For each new server you would add in a new fcalias like you have:

fcalias name EPGS-ESX-12 vsan 401

member pwwn 20:00:00:25:b5:10:00:3f

fcalias name EPGS-ESX-13 vsan 401

member pwwn 20:00:00:25:b5:10:00:7f

For the zones themselves you should do 1 initiator to 1 target or 1 initiator to multiple targets like the example below (currently you have many initiators and many targets in the same zone):

zone name EPGS-ESX12-NETAPP vsan 401

member fcalias EPGS-ESX-12

zone name EPGS-ESX13-NETAPP vsan 401

member fcalias EPGS-ESX-13

zoneset name EPGS-UCS-PROD-A vsan 401

member EPGS-ESX

member EPGS-ESX12-NETAPP

member EPGS-ESX13-NETAPP

zoneset activate name EPGS-UCS-PROD-A vsan 401

This blog is a pretty good reference for starters http://blog.scottlowe.org/2009/10/20/new-users-guide-to-managing-cisco-mds-zones-via-cli/  as well as http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/san-os/quick/guide/quick_cg.html

Also, I'd highly recommend changing your admin password since the hash was in the attachment.

Rick Pancratz
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Brian!  Your response was spot on!  The configuration modifications were completed successfully for the new blades and connectivity verified.  In addition, your insight into the current zone configuration with respect to ratios of initiators to targets was implemented.

Thank you also for the references.  They proved very helpful.

Job well done!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: