cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS and Dell Equallogic

warriorforGod
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for some advice or a best practice guide on how to connect a Dell Equallogic array directly into a pair of 6296 FI's.  The ecologic array has 2 10 Gig ports per controller so I am thinking it should be cabled with 1 port to each FI on each controller for failover, but that doesn't seem to work.  When we fail over the FI's everything looks good, however when we fail back to the original FI the blades lose connectivity to the equallogic array.  Anybody seen this?

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume you do IP storage (NFS, iSCSI,...) ?

What is the OS ? How did you Setup loadsharing / Failover on the OS ?

What is the port type on the FI (application) ?

acrophile
Level 1
Level 1

Since EqualLogic only has one active port at a time, I don't think this would work. You'd have to use an array that had both ports active (not to mention with their own unique target). All EqualLogic arrays rely on a redundant switch fabric and the FI's aren't really providing that necessarily. They act more like Fiber Channel in that they provide two distinct pathways up to the core network.

At least that's how I understand it. 

I found this thread because I am also trying to find the best way to hook up our EqualLogic arrays. We have 8 of them however and it wouldn't be practical to connect them all to our FI's. I might hook them up to our upstream Nexus switches instead though. Right now I just have them connected to some Dell PowerConnect 8024F's which are then connected to the Nexus switches in the UCS environment. Spanning tree is causing me headaches though and I'm looking for a way to simplify the design. My problem is that I need our Dell blade servers and our UCS servers to be able to connect. I thought UCS Appliance Ports might be useful, but you can't connect those to switches at all. 

Anyway, good luck to you, I hope you find a solution! I think you're only option is to connect the array to your upstream network.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card