Views
Helpful
Replies

Zoning on Nexus 5548

sandevsingh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to plan SAN zoning on the nexus 5ks. Wanted to know should i use fcalias or device-alias to start with? I am aware of their pros and cons but still would like to know what are the best practices that Cisco suggests? In my environment, i just have a bunch oh hosts sitting as hypervisors on the UCS (initiators) talking to Netapp (Targets).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

best practice is to use device-alias. fcalias don't do much for you and aren't distributed across all switches in the fabric.

show outputs like show flogi database and show zoneset active will also show you device-alias whereas they will not show if you use fcalias

i would also set the device-alais mode to enhanced and commit it

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

best practice is to use device-alias. fcalias don't do much for you and aren't distributed across all switches in the fabric.

show outputs like show flogi database and show zoneset active will also show you device-alias whereas they will not show if you use fcalias

i would also set the device-alais mode to enhanced and commit it

Thanks Jeremy...

I am putting each hba from each host talking to each cna on the Netapp in their respective zones. Example zones:

zone name hp1_hba0-Netapp_cna1a vsan 100

device-alias hp1_hba0

device-alias Netapp_cna1a

zone name hp1_hba1-Netapp_cna1a vsan 100

device-alias hp1_hba1

device-alias Netapp_cna1a

What is this actually buying me instead of changing the default-zone from deny to permit? By creating zones I am just elloborating on what host-hba can talk to the storage-cna, BUT i am not denying anything?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: