Views
Helpful
Replies

2911 Router with PPP and LAN config

ccaldwell2
Level 1
Level 1

Need some guidance on this one..

I have a (2) 2911 routers connected to a external CSU/DSU between the two sites, both with 3 gig ports.

2911 Router (Local Router):

gig 0/0 used for PPP to remote site (using external CSU)

*gig 0/1 interface configured for local network traffic172.27.1.0 /28 out of gig 0/0

*route has been added to allow LAN traffic to Remote site

2911 Router (Remote site):

gig 0/0 used for PPP to local site (using external CSU)

gig 0/1 connected to hub which has 5 hosts (10.7.1.0 /24)

gig 0/2 connected to server is data center (10.7.1.0 /24)

Can this config be done on the remote site router?

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's not clear what you are asking. Can you clarify ?

One thing to be noted is that gi0/1 and gi0/2 on the remote site router cannot both be in the 10.7.1.0/24 subnet. You cannot assign 2 ethernet interfaces on the same router into the same subnet.

Jon

Here is the issue..

There is a server on one side of the building, and the hosts are down the hall (connected to a hub).

My router is located in the data center, and my connectivity between them is limited to patched fiber and then thru a transceiver to copper at the 2911 router.

They are all configured for the same subnet, and I need them to communicate.

Can I create a VLAN on the router and encapsulate the gig 0/1.1 (server conn.) and gig 0/2.1 (connection to the hub)?

You could use subinterfaces on one of the 2911 interfaces if you had a L2 switch connected to that interface.

I don't think you can allocate the inbuilt interfaces to a vlan ie. make the interfaces switchports at L2.

To be perfectly honest if you only have 5 hosts on the hub by far the easiest solution is to simply readdress them into a different subnet and then use both gigabit interfaces on the 2911 and route between the hosts and the server. Much easier.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: