Views
Helpful
Replies

2960x series switch configuration help

roy_hayes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently have a stack of 4 2960x series switches and we are expanding to the other side of our building. So we purchased another 2960 switch to put on the other end. I would like to copy the configuration from member 2 of the stack and place it on the new switch. The configuration on member two is exactly what we need in order to connect these two. What is the best way to copy only one switch configuration in a stack and then place it on a new switch?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Carlos Villagran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The stack master saves the running configuration of THE STACK, if you'd wanted the config of only one member of the stack you will need to disable the stack and take the configuration of switch member two as a standalone switch and take the config, it is the only way.

Now, is the second switch configuration really different as the master switch? Because that should not make a difference in the stack. 

This is the documentation describing how the stack manages the configurations:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12-2_40_se/configuration/guide/scg1/swstack.pdf

Hope it helps, best regards!

JC

Thanks for the reply.

I don't really want to disable it from the stack but I also don't want to have to manually configure the switch seeing as there is a lot of qos and what not that needs to be configured for our phones. I specifically want the config of member 2 because it is set up to connect to another switch at the opposite side of the building already and the master is not. So I want to replicate this on the new switch.

Hi!

Refering to the documentation, you can access the CLI of your switch number 2 with session 2  command.

Or send the command to the switch directly using the remote command 2 show running-config.

Accessing the CLI of a Specific Member

This optional task is for debugging purposes, and is available only from the stack master.

You can access all or specific members by using the remote command {all | stack-member-number} privileged EXEC command. The stack member number range is 1 to 8.

You can access specific members by using the session stack-member-number privileged EXEC command. The member number is appended to the system prompt. For example, the prompt for member 2 is Switch-2#, and system prompt for thestack master is Switch#. Enter exit to return to the CLI session on the stack master. Only the show and debug commands are available on a specific member.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card