Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Switch Stack Change Master

vinovinom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am currently in process of removing around 6 switches from 3750 Stack of 8 Switches. Currently Switch 6 is the Master. I would like to change it to switch 3. I have changed the priority to switch 3 higher than all other switches, so that when election occurs this becomes master.

My question is whether there would be any interruptions, when I remove the switches from stack and master re-election, to traffic flowing through the Switch Stack? 

Thanks

Vin

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

When removing an "unused" member switch there should be little (stack transit traffic?) to no service interruption.

When removing an "unused" stack master, there can be service interruption, how severe depends on stack configuration.  Pure L2 switching should be the least disturbed.  L3 routing, more so, although if NSF enable, that should be minimal too.  One issue with a stack master change, by default, the master's MAC changes, which can cause issues for SVI IPs and port-channels.  Both can be mitigated by configuring the stack to continue to use the original stack master's MAC (until the whole stack is reloaded).

Hi Joseph

Many thanks for your reply. In this case the stack contains the core routing information for the whole envrionment. Mostly static and some EIGRP routes. Also Portchannels. I beleive the Version 12.2(25r)SEE4  doesn't support NSF. So there would be around 10 - 30 secs outage would you say ?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

10 to 30 seconds, might be in the ball park.

Do know, some hosts, if they don't react to the gratuitous ARP, won't talk to their GW until their ARP cache times out.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

One thing you want to be sure of is having the same license across all your switches.  For example; if your master switch has IP Services license and the members don't, when the master goes out you will have issues with routing protocols, IP SLAs, PBR, etc... as these features are mainly supported in IP Service license.

I recommend you do this in a maintenance window and not during production, as you never know what can go wrong.

HTH

Excellent point!

On 1st gen 3750, same issue can arise depending what feature image is loaded on the switch.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card