Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE vs Cisco IOS SLB

Madhan Kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

What is the differece between Cisco IOS SLB and Cisco ACE?. If the Cisco IOS SLB provides the same set of application why we wnat to go ACE?. My client have cisco 6509E switch and couple of web application servers. He asked to me a solution for load balancing his applications. Which one can I prefer?. Advice.

Rgds

R.MADHANKUMAR

Hyderabad.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

First off, ACE is designed for load balance traffic. It has its own CPU to serve many transactions. It has a high throuhput and can do Layer-7 load balance. As per question, SLB may be fine for a couple of web application but you may need to do a sizing before proposing a solution. ACE can serve the need of SSL transactions and has many features to track the servers , not just ping connections. It can check the service of the server by probing a url or you can use a sticky feature to solve problems for some web sites. In short, you need to get all requirements from him and then check which one is suitable for.

Let's check  ACE here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/ps6906/product_data_sheet0900aecd8045861b.html

HTH,

Toshi

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hi,

First off, ACE is designed for load balance traffic. It has its own CPU to serve many transactions. It has a high throuhput and can do Layer-7 load balance. As per question, SLB may be fine for a couple of web application but you may need to do a sizing before proposing a solution. ACE can serve the need of SSL transactions and has many features to track the servers , not just ping connections. It can check the service of the server by probing a url or you can use a sticky feature to solve problems for some web sites. In short, you need to get all requirements from him and then check which one is suitable for.

Let's check  ACE here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/ps6906/product_data_sheet0900aecd8045861b.html

HTH,

Toshi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card