Helpful
Replies

bad network topology

vixal.vla
Level 1
Level 1

Hello every one ,

i have problem and can't solve it till now , it's look strange ,,

first thing i have this network topology , my gatway is router cisco ASR 1002 ,, i have core switch and for each tower site i have cisco SG3000 small business ,,,

all towers linked by wireless P2P ubiquiti air fiber 5x and some sites with powerbeam 

will the problem is , when some towers gone down it's happened ,, the internet will be slowly , i can't ping or access for any p2p in same time they passing the traffic ,, i got report in cisco , i have flapping mac address between 2 ports in Vlan (p2p) and that mac is the gateway router ,, 

so how i fix the problem temporary until electric back to tower , i go and shut down another end site tower , every thing go ok until every thing back like normal ,, 

does the problem cuz of my topology a many hops ? or SG switches should have specific STP conf 

i'm confusing with this problem 

5 Replies 5

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

How is your spanning tree configured?

Are you running the same mode on all switches?

Have you manually placed the root bridge?

hello ,, thx for reply ,, in Core Switch i got this

spanning-tree mode pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

!

spanning-tree mst configuration

and other switches SG-300 in towers is 

spanning-tree mode stp

spanning-tree mst configuration

Your spanning tree should match between different nodes.  I believe I've seen others here with mixture of MST and PVST that caused similar issues.

when i asked some one told me its they supporting each other , do you think its ok ?

It looks like under perfect/ideal conditions, it can work; but you have to be really consistent about which is the root bridge for PVST; and it can lead to some VLANs getting blocked in odd ways.  "Supporting each other" basically means they CAN work together if you follow a few design recommendations; not that they're truly/transparently interoperable.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/24248-147.html#mst_region_world

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card