Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Running Configuration

Hello Community,

I have a strange request.

Can someone please let me know if its possible to make routers build the running configuration quicker?

Let me explain.

When I do 'show run' on a cisco 3750, it takes ages for the device to 'build the configuration' before it shows the running configuration.

I would like to know if its possible to have the device show the running configuration a lot sooner.

Cheers

Carlton

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Carlton,

Technically no, but the startup config shows much faster. I suppose when you telnet into your device, you could write the config and then work off of the startup config. "show start"

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, "show run" is slow on the 3750 - more so the larger the stack is. It's a limitation of the device, unfortunately.

I find there to be value in a network configuration management system (like RANCID (open source), Cisco Prime LMS or SolarWinds NCM (both licensed)) which , when properly setup, can give you not only the current running configuration but a history of changes made over time. When using one of them, you consult their copy of the running configuration which is not dependent on the switch's processing of your query and is often parsed in a way to make it more human-readable and is easily searched for key bits.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
When I do 'show run' on a cisco 3750, it takes ages for the device to 'build the configuration' before it shows the running configuration.

It'll depend on several factors.

The most important, as what Marvin has stated, is the size of your stack.  If you have, for example, nine switches in a stack, then yes, it'll take a long, long time.  It'll sometimes give you the impression that your stack has crashed.  This is one reason why I don't recommend building a switch stack seven or more.  Six is my personal recommended "maximum".

Another factor is the IOS version. 

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

are these 3750x? i've had experienced the same symptom wherein show run and write memory were both slow.

there were only 3 switches in stack. so, i'm guessing what you're seeing could be normal.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2196444

Oops!

Johnlloyd, your response reminded me that I have four switches in the stack.

I should have mentioned this small fact before.

That would explain the slow building of the configuration.

Cheers all.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card