Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Replace -- trustworthy?

Process153
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I did some testing with the above command on a 3750 I had spare and although it seems to work ok, I got a nasty surprise when I tried to demo it to a manager :O  Basically I'd created an archive, set some ports to default and wanted to show how the commands allowed me to restore the archived config but only amending the changed data.  No idea why, but the restore wiped the config off the switch and left me looking a bit stupid....  Well, stuff happens but.... I was wondering if this is something others have experienced???? Obviously I would not consider this for a production stack but it would be handy.  Appreciate your thoughts!

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What are the commands you are using?

HTH

Hi Reza,

I'm just following this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/config-mgmt/configuration/xe-3s/config-mgmt-xe-3s-book/cm-config-rollback.html

Its working as expected now and of course, I make offline backups of the configs but its still a risk to consider using it in production. 

Just tried it again and its done the same thing.  Basically if you create a snapshot, leave it for a few hours or overnight as I did, take another snapshot and then make a change to the switch config, restoring the earliest config just seems to wipe it and return the switch to its out of the box config.  I'm assuming that the intended use for this was just to allow quick restoration of the original config and should never be considered a solid backup option for the switch.  Its a pity as it would be a very useful addition to the resiliency we have in place. 

Hello

try and just replace a saved config from flash  without using the archive.

1) copy run flash:STAN.txt

2) make some changes

3) configure replace flash:STAN.txt

Does this work?

Then use the archive

Archive

path flash:STAN

time-period 240 ( 4 hrs)

rollback retry timeout 600

1) archive config - sh archive

#sh archive
The maximum archive configurations allowed is 5.
There are currently 1 archive configurations saved.
The next archive file will be named flash:STAN-<timestamp>-1
 Archive #  Name
   1        flash:STAN-Mar--1-05-51-44.797-0 <- Most Recent
   2        flash:STAN-Mar--1-05-53-37.280-1

2) make some changes

3) configure replace flash:STAN-Mar--1-05-51-44.797-0 revert trigger 1

ARCHIVE_DIFF-5-ROLLBK_CNFMD_CHG_START_ABSTIMER: User: console: Scheduled                            to rollback to config flash:STAN-Mar--1-05-57-31.599-1 in 1 minutes

ARCHIVE_DIFF-5-ROLLBK_CNFMD_CHG_WARNING_ABSTIMER: System will rollback to                            config flash:STAN-Mar--1-05-57-31.599-1 in one minute. Enter "configure confirm" if you wish to                            keep what you've configured

Note:If you don't confirm this rollback within 1 minute (Configure Confirm) it will auto rollback to the original confit prior to the replacing

tick tock.... tick tock...... (1 min)

- %ARCHIVE_DIFF-5-ROLLBK_CNFMD_CHG_ROLLBACK_START: Start rolling to: flash:STAN-Mar--1-05-57-31.599-1

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks for taking the time Paul!  The process does work ok, its just that on two attempts using the oldest archive, the same process that normally works (the one we both describe above) has failed catastrophically.  My goal was to use the roll back feature as a "get out of jail card" in case of stupid.  I'll keep testing and report anything useful.

Hello

I use the replace command quite often and have had no issues with it. I guess it depends on how you use it, As it can be used with/without rollback archive

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cannot recall what platforms I've tried it on, but I've found the command a bit "flakey", especially if there's much that was changed.

BTW, I've occasionally seen the IOS diff results be "flakey" too.  (Related?)

Yeah, I'm not convinced its consistent enough to trust.  Pity, its a good idea.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card