cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to the aux port

matraylor
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I have a 2501 at home and a 3662 at work.

Connecting the serial port of my home computer to the aux port of the 2501 and using hyperterminal gets me into the IOS like magic.

However, same cable, hyperterminal from the serial port of two different laptops to the aux port of the 3662 gets me a winking cursor. Nada. Same setup for Hyperterminal on both machines. Can someone tell me why one works and one doesn't? Thank you.

5 Replies 5

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Perhaps the AUX port is set to the wrong baud?

Perhaps the config on the 3662 is not set to allow serial connections?

Could the 3662 be set for hardware handshake, and the HT on the PC is set for software (or no handshake) ..... or vice-versa?

Can you attach to the console on the 3662 successfully?

The AUX port is usually auto-baud and cable sensing (cross / straight through - DCE / DTE), but I believe it can be overridden by configuration.

Check it out and let us know.

Scott

I thought 9600 baud was standard, but tried them all and none work.

I see nothing in the config to allow or deny serial connections (but maybe I don't know what I'm looking for)

Console does not work either.

I'll have to look into the handshake stuff.

Thank you.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Have you checked that the hyperterminal is using the right COM port of the laptop?

Does the laptop work to the Console port of the 3662?

Is the configuration of the aux port line on the 3662 the same as that on your home 2501?

I have seen this sort of thing due to the limitations of the serial port on a laptop. In my case, the voltage levels coming out of the laptop were sufficiently out-of-spec not to work. Are the laptops the same make and model? What happens when you use a "real" PC to the 3662?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I tried both com ports.

The console port also does not work.

Configs at home and work are identical.

One laptop is a 4 year old Winbook and one is a 1 year old Dell.

I haven't had a chance to hook up a real pc, but I will this afternoon.

Thank you.

A workstation communicates with the console and the aux ports with no problems. I learned a bit about the limitations of laptops and serial ports.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card